Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Round of 32-Saturday

Thanks. After the non conference portion of the season, is there typically movement in the conference RPIs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Thanks. After the non conference portion of the season, is there typically movement in the conference RPIs?
    Conference RPI remains static, but the Pomeroy Ratings account for the postseason. We remain second in those rankings, but the ACC likely overtakes us unless their teams fall flat on their face in the next couple of rounds. Last season's crappy postseason showing knocked the Big East from fourth to sixth in the final Pomeroy Ratings.
    #BringShakaHome

So, when discussing how conferences compare, is it fair to say that the only two periods that matter are the non conference portion and the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    So, when discussing how conferences compare, is it fair to say that the only two periods that matter are the non conference portion and the tournament?
    Yes. I also share your skepticism, if you will, about how conferences are rated. Teams change drastically over the season. Beating someone in the non-conference season does not necessarily translate to being the better team in March. That would hold true for conferences, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Yes. I also share your skepticism, if you will, about how conferences are rated. Teams change drastically over the season. Beating someone in the non-conference season does not necessarily translate to being the better team in March. That would hold true for conferences, as well.
    I agree. Freshmen are no longer freshmen. Coaches want their teams to be playing their best basketball. They have all their stuff in(offenses, defenses, OOB plays etc) Heck, if you run a motion offense, your team will not be playing cohesively until around the end of December. Teams that run set plays may have an advantage in the early season, but that gets negated by March.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617