Thread: Bad News DePaul Finally Woke Up and Fired Oliver Purnell

Bad News DePaul Finally Woke Up and Fired Oliver Purnell

After five horrific seasons DePaul's long nightmare may be coming to an end as the school has finally decided to part ways with Oliver Purnell. This is not good news for Marquette who, if DePaul doesn't mess up the hire, will have a resurgent DePaul to compete with in Chicago. However, as my good friend John Dodds has often said, it may be good news for the Big East. The question, however, is whether DePaul is finally willing to invest the money required to compete at the high level to which it claims to aspire. My guess is they are; especially with a new arena that they will need to keep filled. Should be interesting to see who they pursue. Any guesses? I'll give you a darkhorse, Virginia Tech Assistant Isaac Chew (remember him?) or how about MU's own Todd Townsend, experienced D1 assistants with strong ties to region and Chicago in particular (recognizing that recruiting is now a national pursuit).
    Last edited by MulliganMusings; 03-14-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Wardle would be a good candidate, but since he has MU ties their AD won't look at him.

Why would Issac a Chew go there? He had it on good sources that you can't recruit top level kids to the BEast
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

The other thread mentioned Ben Howland, who might be a good choice, but I think the Chicago Public School coaching scene would make his head explode.

I really have trouble figuring out IF a good mid major coach would be interested in this job. And some of the names I come up with (Bryce Drew for instance), don't seem like a good fit.

Jerrance Howard? Former Illini player and assistant...now at Kansas.

EDIT--Nevermind: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...rijuana-charge

If they're smart they'll get some feedback from both the local public and parochial high school coaches. If they get buy in from those guys it might create a smoother path for whomever they hire. IIRC those coaches, particularly the CPL coaches, were not pleased when Purnell was hired.

Yeah I remember being nervous when they fired Wainright. 'Sleeping Giant' and so forth. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    If they're smart they'll get some feedback from both the local public and parochial high school coaches. If they get buy in from those guys it might create a smoother path for whomever they hire. IIRC those coaches, particularly the CPL coaches, were not pleased when Purnell was hired.
    If they listen to the Public League Coaches, the program will be doomed. They need to go out and find the right guy and let things fall where they may with the CPL coaches. A lot of bad dudes who think they know it all and would overrun the program.