Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Depaul looking for a new coach

Bryce Drew would be a good fit. Young guy who knows the Chicago area well and has good heritage in the game. Not sure about the Hurleys as they are east coast guys and may not fit here. Howland? No. DePaul needs a young energetic guy to go out and pound the pavement and not only recruit, but market the program.

I know there is a lot going on in sports right now (NCAA tourney, HS Championships, Spring Training, NFL Free Agency), but the Purnell resigning made it to Page 7 in the Tribune today. There just is no buzz around this program right now and an old guy isn't going to change that.

@WndyCtyBsktball: Ben Howland on top of DePaul's list.

Might be too risky for them, but Jerrance Howard or Rod Strickland would get players at the very least.

It'll be interesting if they go the Chicago native route. Would likely make the CPL crowd happy, but I'm not sure catering to them is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    All the more reason JLP should be tendering her resignation tomorrow.
    Exactly. Purnell was merely the flesh wound in the gaping cut that is the DePaul athletic department.
    #BringShakaHome

Bruce Pearl would have been perfect fo DePaul. They need more than just players, they need someone to energize fans and donors.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Bruce Pearl would have been perfect fo DePaul. They need more than just players, they need someone to energize fans and donors.
    Not sure Pearl would ever be welcome back in the state of Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Unfortunately, those are the facts. Brian needs to get a breakthrough to move up. Also, GB fizzled in the NIT last year as well. Good guy, but results are important.
    In fairness to Wardle, he lost his best player (and I think his best two players) just before the conference tournament last year. Otherwise, they likely would have won the HL bid and perhaps made some noise. Not surprising that a disappointed team did not make a run in the NIT. I do expect he will get a look from DePaul, but not an offer. But his big payday is coming. Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    In fairness to Wardle, he lost his best player (and I think his best two players) just before the conference tournament last year. Otherwise, they likely would have won the HL bid and perhaps made some noise. Not surprising that a disappointed team did not make a run in the NIT. I do expect he will get a look from DePaul, but not an offer. But his big payday is coming. Soon.
    Actually, Brown played 35 minutes and Sykes played 37 minutes in the Horizon League loss to UWM. Brown played hurt for a good portion of the season. Sykes had played with a thumb injury for the latter part of the season. That, though, did not effect them in the games they played leading up to that game. Plus, the game was in Green Bay. https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2656906.pdf

Kiefer played one one leg and Brown with one good shoulder. The stars were not in line. Sad for the players and Nix fans. Both were gutting it out and if it was a regular season game they would have been on the bench the whole time.
    Last edited by TulsaWarrior; 03-15-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast