Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Depaul looking for a new coach

What about Crean or Wardle?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Would Crean really take that job? I just can't see it.......I saw a rumor of Wardle to Bradley......

I don't think Brian Wardle has won enough. This year was his opportunity to get the NCAA's and they didn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    I don't think Brian Wardle has won enough. This year was his opportunity to get the NCAA's and they didn't do it.

If I were looking at a Horizon League coach, I would look at Bryce Drew before Brian Wardle. Drew recruits the Chicago area just has much and has won three regular season conference titles, and two tournament titles at Valpo.

Honestly, when I think of Crean, I think of Kevin O'Neill. Crean has come under a ton of fire despite having cleaned up the program, taken them to a #1 ranking, and made the Sweet 16 twice. IU fans that think they are still a national power are delusional. They've been to one Final Four in the past 23 years. They've won only two conference titles in that span, one under Crean. They haven't won a national title in 28 years. The name may be Indiana, but the program is a shadow of its former self. Indiana is not a blue blood. It is not a national brand. It is not on par with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or any of the other true powers. They aren't even on par with Michigan State, Michigan, or Ohio State any more.

Their fans are stuck in the 1980s. I wonder if Crean sometimes thinks it was a mistake to leave Marquette. He could have stayed here forever, he would have been given a pass when he missed the tourney on occasion as long as he had more successes than failures. If he could negotiate a smaller buyout, get DePaul to pay a portion of it, going to a smaller, Midwestern Catholic school might actually appeal to him. Like a second chance at the greener grass he walked away from because "It's Indiana, It's Indiana." He would again have time to build the program, the fanbase would never have the same unrealistic dreams that IU fans still harbor, he would be in a recruiting hotbed and still have access to all the areas he has successfully recruited over the years.

In addition, it would let IU get out from under his buyout and move on. Crean certainly has made the job more attractive than it was when he took it. IU gets a new coach, Crean gets a new job with less pressure and that would allow him the time needed for a rebuild (which he has shown an aptitude for), and DePaul would get a coach that knows how to motivate a fanbase and create excitement in a program while also knowing how to win.

Honestly, I hope Crean goes nowhere near there. I don't really want a good DePaul, and while Crean wouldn't necessarily make them a perennial contender, I do believe he would make them a team that was regularly a top-6 team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Agreed. He has had enough talent to get there the past few years, but hasn't. It's a guards game and he had a fantastic one in Sykes. In addition, he had plenty of height and length and last year had a top center, but still could not get to the dance. He needs to show something, IMHO, to warrant a move to the next level much less to the BE. He has not done that at GB.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Agreed. He has had enough talent to get there the past few years, but hasn't. It's a guards game and he had a fantastic one in Sykes. In addition, he had plenty of height and length and last year had a top center, but still could not get to the dance. He needs to show something, IMHO, to warrant a move to the next level much less to the BE. He has not done that at GB.
    Unfortunately, those are the facts. Brian needs to get a breakthrough to move up. Also, GB fizzled in the NIT last year as well. Good guy, but results are important.

Early names ... Howland, Hurley brothers, some NBA guys, Gregory, Bryce Drew, Wardle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    Early names ... Howland, Hurley brothers, some NBA guys, Gregory, Bryce Drew, Wardle.
    All good names except Gregory.

Bobby Hurley going dancing. Former Germantown standout Lamonte Bearden helped ice it for the Buffalo Bulls. Will definitely make him a hot target in a couple weeks.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast