Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Depaul looking for a new coach

Sooo, gotta be Hurley right?

Roy Schmidt:
    And there you go--Bryce Drew will return to Valpo. No surprise there. Things playing out at DePaul exactly as I expected.

I can see Hurley taking the job. Buffalo isn't going to pay well and Hurley probably needs the cash. He lost his horse farm to foreclosure a few years ago. So, he probably blew his NBA earnings already. But, Hurley has used the Iowa State formula to turn around Buffalo, albeit, not to the same extent. Hence, if DePaul does go in that direction, I think its a signal that they want a quick turnaround, no matter the perception.

Hurley was an assistant coach for his brother for one year at Wagner, and another at URI, and has been head coach at Buffalo for two years. I didn't realize his resume was that thin.

His brother was a high school head coach for ten years, head coach for two years at Wagner, and three at URI. That seems to be a better background.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Hurley was an assistant coach for his brother for one year at Wagner, and another at URI, and has been head coach at Buffalo for two years. I didn't realize his resume was that thin.

His brother was a high school head coach for ten years, head coach for two years at Wagner, and three at URI. That seems to be a better background.
    Definitely a thin resume but this is an instance where it's worth the risk in my opinion. When you factor in his accomplishments as a player for Coach K, father's continued success as a high school coaching legend in the NE, brother's success turning around two programs (Wagner & Rhode Island), as well as Bobby's success at Buffalo in two years - I think this is a safe bet.

I'm sure Hurley has a ton of east coast connections, still has name recognition / played in the League, etc.

You take the east coast connections, go to Chicago at Depaul and can tell east coast kids you will be playing in the Big East. At The Garden every year.
    Add that to the talent in Chicago and the lure of a new facility. I think Hurley could do very well at DePaul.

Sound from reading about Buffalo his team did well. Grab an older assistant or a guy with Illinois ties and he could do very well.

I understand the thin resume, but lack of coaching hasn't seemed to hurt Steve Kerr with the Warriors.
    Last edited by Goose85; 03-23-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Hurley has a player coming to Buffalo next year from suburban Chicago (Geneva) so he obviously is not void of recruiting ties to Chicago. He might even get this kid to flip to DePaul, though he is likely better suited to the MAC as opposed to the BE.

I still wonder if Michael White from Louisiana Tech is someone they want to contact. Tech is still in the NIT. White's father, Kevin, is a long time AD with one of the stops being Notre Dame. One of Michael White's brother is AD at the University of Buffalo.

If Hurley goes to DePaul I imagine one time Marquette target Maurice O'Field might join him there.

Have seen Bobby Hurley's name connected with the Fordham opening. Not sure which job is a bigger coaching graveyard Fordham or DePaul. That said if you were to achieve success, at either location (and success is relative since they are both in putrid condition), it would open doors for far larger positions. That said he could easily project from Buffalo as well so he might just want to stay there. It's interesting that Bobby didn't follow the Dawkins-Collins-Wojo-Capel path of assisting under Coach K and has pretty much struck out on his own (albeit with an assist from his brother for whom he served as an assistant). As for Danny Hurley, my guess is that he's keeping his eye on what happens at Seton Hall as IIRC it's his alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    Have seen Bobby Hurley's name connected with the Fordham opening. Not sure which job is a bigger coaching graveyard Fordham or DePaul. That said if you were to achieve success, at either location (and success is relative since they are both in putrid condition), it would open doors for far larger positions. That said he could easily project from Buffalo as well so he might just want to stay there. It's interesting that Bobby didn't follow the Dawkins-Collins-Wojo-Capel path of assisting under Coach K and has pretty much struck out on his own (albeit with an assist from his brother for whom he served as an assistant). As for Danny Hurley, my guess is that he's keeping his eye on what happens at Seton Hall as IIRC it's his alma mater.

DePaul is a dumpster fire...but it looks like paradise compared to Fordham. Fordham is a complete non-entity in college basketball.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast