Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Depaul looking for a new coach

If that is true, I wonder what Garret and Hamilton do. I could see them picking up and leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post

You can hire a search firm to do all sorts of things. Background checks for instance.

Waste of money as they've missed on some background checks from what I can remember. Not a fan of Parker,

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Waste of money as they've missed on some background checks from what I can remember. Not a fan of Parker,

I have never worked with them, but they can only do so much. The administration is the problem here. Roy Schmidt is alluding that this is to land a player. My guess it its LoVett. My other guess is that Leitao has agreed to hold onto the assistant coach that handled his recruitment.

Sounds like Garrett was handling the LoVett recruitment. Maybe hiring Leitao ensures they keep Billy Jr and land LoVett? If so that is monumentally stupid. You don't hire a recruit for 1/2 players, you hire them for the program.

I can picture that blue blob in the office, finalizing the deal. Organizes her papers, tucks them under her arm with a huge grin on her fat face thinking "yup, nailed it!".

Here's what I suspect...

It was reported that Bryce Drew turned down the initial DePaul offer. I don't think it was money, so what else? Well, Marcus LoVett is on campus this weekend. Billy Garrett Sr is handling his recruitment.

Supposedly DePaul feels they have a lot at stake with LoVett. If Drew wanted all his own assistants, DePaul might lose not only Garrett Sr, but Garrett Jr and LoVett.

So instead, they hire Leitao, who they already know on past history will put up with their crap, he keeps Garrett, they keep their roster and prized recruit (not that LoVett is much of a prize).

That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Here's what I suspect...

It was reported that Bryce Drew turned down the initial DePaul offer. I don't think it was money, so what else? Well, Marcus LoVett is on campus this weekend. Billy Garrett Sr is handling his recruitment.

Supposedly DePaul feels they have a lot at stake with LoVett. If Drew wanted all his own assistants, DePaul might lose not only Garrett Sr, but Garrett Jr and LoVett.

So instead, they hire Leitao, who they already know on past history will put up with their crap, he keeps Garrett, they keep their roster and prized recruit (not that LoVett is much of a prize).

That's my guess.
    According to Jon Rothstein, Bobby Hurley turned down DePaul because he felt the committment (financial/resources) was not sufficient to compete at the top level of the Big East. Oh, and Leito was the only person interviewed that was willing to retain Garrett on the staff.

Brian Wardle would be a solid hire. He knows how to work with low budgets at Green Bay.
    March Madness starts in November

I think Wardle would have been a good hire for DePaul, but if Wardle ever wants the Marquette job, he would not take that job.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast