Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Depaul looking for a new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I am having a discussion with my buddy on how Depaul is not committed to their men's basketball program. He is citing the new stadium to show that they are. Can someone recount the story how someone was talking to a Depaul administrator and how they refuse to do it the Marquette way?
    Check your PMs, Crisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    In Howland's last year he won the Pac 12 title and went to NCAA tourney. Also took team to final fours.

I think there were some issues beyond wins and losses that resulted in him getting let go at UCLA.

It sure won't hurt the conference is DePaul becomes a decent team in the future.
    Yeah, you have to look at Howland's record and wonder why he doesn't have a job. I got the definite impression when he was in the hunt last year that a lot of people did not like him. Maybe that does not matter so much when you are trying to turn a program around, but I was glad we did not hire him.

He burned a ton of recruiting bridges and the SI story gave the impression that he ran a thuggish, lawless program. Stories from guys like Carlino and Holiday have destroyed his reputation.

Howland can coach basketball, but he ran an abysmal program and allowed his players to be terrorized by their teammates. He just seems like a terrible person that not only recruits a number of low character kids but doesn't enforce any rules when they do drugs, physically assault each other, or urinate on their teammates' belongings. If DePaul hires him, they deserve exactly the type of despicable program they will get.

Depau;

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I am having a discussion with my buddy on how Depaul is not committed to their men's basketball program. He is citing the new stadium to show that they are. Can someone recount the story how someone was talking to a Depaul administrator and how they refuse to do it the Marquette way?
    I have said that where Depaul has gotten into trouble was not really the AD's fault, but a lack of commitment from the administration. People do not understand how close MU came to having the very same problem. When Hank was quietly pushed upstairs to allow Rick Majerus to become coach, he was not pleased, but because he was a great man he went with very little push back. The problems came when Rick realized the landscape had changed and he needed a much bigger budget. He went to Hank, the AD at the time who did not see any reason Rick " couldn't do things the way we had always done them". Rick was not able to get top assistants, was not able to recruit other than Chicago and Wisc., Chicago was locked up at that time with DePaul and Lou Henson at Illinois getting most of the top talent. When Rick left the administration would not pay for a top coach( although supposedly there were many interested), we ended up with the piano player. Without a change at the top we would never have been able to bounce back and we might now be the equivalent of Loyola Chicago.

The administration at DePaul, MIGHT now be changing, but rest assured they knew they were not giving the AD the needed funds to compete in top men's basketball. So for those that say she has been a train wreck I can only say that if the administration thought they had given her the proper support they would have gotten rid of her a long time ago. I will reprint a post I made a long time ago as to what some reasons may have been for their lack of concern. I do believe that the support from the administration may be changing, so the pressure may now start to build.

I agree that is where she should put her time and effort into and be judged by, unless as is the case here her bosses do not provide the assets needed to do that job. The administration knows they are not allowing her to be successful in that area and for whatever reason they are ok with that decision. Depaul does not need basketball as a marketing tool, they are the largest Catholic university in the country, they are quite content being very well regarded and very well connected in the Chicago area. Where MU has always had an outsiders view from the Milwaukee powers and has been subjected to UW alums being in control of the city that is not the case for Depaul. U of I is just another university in Chicago not as well connected as Depaul alums or at best on equal terms, all this is to say that basketball is no where near as important to Depaul as it is to MU, and Depaul Administrations will not pay the dollars needed to be good and they know that and understand that they are sacrificing Jean to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Many wanted Howland the coach at Marquette. This would be a solid hire for DePaul.
    Many people vote for awful politicians, as well. I would not use that as an argument that it would be a good hire.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Many people vote for awful politicians, as well. I would not use that as an argument that it would be a good hire.
    True, but...I'm not talking about politics.
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 03-20-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    March Madness starts in November

I know WarriorO'Malley knows what is going on at a DePaul. If that is how the DePaul admins feel, they shouldn't be in the BIG EAST. They should be in the MVC or Horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    True, but...I'm not talking about politics.
    Doesn't matter what you are talking about, quite honestly. Most of the "people" you cited have no real clue as to if Howland is the right choice or not. I gave an appropriate analogy. If you do not understand that, that is your problem. I could care less who wanted Howland and who did not Only those involved in the process (your disregarded) matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Doesn't matter what you are talking about, quite honestly. Most of the "people" you cited have no real clue as to if Howland is the right choice or not. I gave an appropriate analogy. If you do not understand that, that is your problem. I could care less who wanted Howland and who did not Only those involved in the process (your disregarded) matter.
    Watch you tone. You are way out of line. People are just giving there random thoughts, nobody is giving facts. People I cited, what people. If you can't talk to people with respect, stay off this site!
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 03-20-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    March Madness starts in November

Howland isn't out at UCLA because he didn't win. He's out because he ran a terrible program and fostered a vicious culture of terror. Ask Matt Carlino if Marquette should have hired Ben Howland. The reason no one has hired him is because no one wants to play for him.

He would probably win some at DePaul but he would be an awful hire and would have been an awful hire here.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast