Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zagsblog on MU - Future is Bright

Zagsblog on MU - Future is Bright

As expected, Zagsblog is all over the Big East. Here is an article on MU

http://zagsblog.com/articles/despite...s/#more-130660

As excited as I am about next year's squad, I have tempered my enthusiasm about the team's success after watching the BE tourney and looking to see what other teams lose and who is coming back.

STJ loses everything and DePaul is just bad. Creighton will likely struggle too. But just about everyone else has key players coming back and/or top recruits coming in.

Villanova, Georgetown, Butler and Providence should lead the pack. MU, X and Seton Hall (assuming they get their act cleaned up) will battle it out for the middle of the pack.

Its going to be another tough conference next year with the likelihood of getting 6 invites to the Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    As excited as I am about next year's squad, I have tempered my enthusiasm about the team's success after watching the BE tourney and looking to see what other teams lose and who is coming back.

STJ loses everything and DePaul is just bad. Creighton will likely struggle too. But just about everyone else has key players coming back and/or top recruits coming in.

Villanova, Georgetown, Butler and Providence should lead the pack. MU, X and Seton Hall (assuming they get their act cleaned up) will battle it out for the middle of the pack.

Its going to be another tough conference next year with the likelihood of getting 6 invites to the Dance.
    I think Villanova and Georgetown are the two at the top. Nova adds 5-star Brunson and returns most of their team while the Hoyas have a star in DSR and lots of young talent that should blossom next year.

After that I think it's a bit more open. Butler and Xavier lose significant pieces, but bring back enough to make the Dance. Providence will lose Henton and could also lose Dunn, they have young talent, but I see them in the middle of the pack unless Dunn stays. I'd put Marquette in this group, the 3-6 teams that are scrapping for bids.

St. John's and Creighton both lose a ton, I don't trust the powder keg Willard has put together at SHU at all, and DePaul, despite their 5-2 start, is apparently still DePaul. They may bring everyone back, but if Melvin & Young couldn't get to the NIT why will Garrett & Hamilton be any different?

I think Henton should have been voted the Conference Player of the Year. Kid is a stud who works so hard. That will prove to be a big loss for Providence.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I think Villanova and Georgetown are the two at the top. Nova adds 5-star Brunson and returns most of their team while the Hoyas have a star in DSR and lots of young talent that should blossom next year.

After that I think it's a bit more open. Butler and Xavier lose significant pieces, but bring back enough to make the Dance. Providence will lose Henton and could also lose Dunn, they have young talent, but I see them in the middle of the pack unless Dunn stays. I'd put Marquette in this group, the 3-6 teams that are scrapping for bids.

St. John's and Creighton both lose a ton, I don't trust the powder keg Willard has put together at SHU at all, and DePaul, despite their 5-2 start, is apparently still DePaul. They may bring everyone back, but if Melvin & Young couldn't get to the NIT why will Garrett & Hamilton be any different?
    I think Creighton is in that second tier of teams. Their two best players on the roster (Maurice Watson and Cole Huff) were sitting out this year as transfers, and they return some other nice pieces with Milliken, Hegner, Zierden (if he can just stay healthy), and a couple of serviceable type bigs (Groselle, Hanson). If 1-2 of their freshmen (RS frosh Ronnie Harrell, Justin Patton, Marlon Stewart, Khyri Thomas, or Martin Krampelj) can be a consistent part of their rotation, they should gave a solid, deep group. Do not believe that they will be a top 25 team, but it would not surprise me if they return to the NCAA's.
    #BringShakaHome

I totally forgot about Watson. He should be a stud for them.

I thought I read a couple of days ago that viewership on FS 1 was up 20% over a year ago. Don't remember if that was overall viewership or viewership for BE basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I thought I read a couple of days ago that viewership on FS 1 was up 20% over a year ago. Don't remember if that was overall viewership or viewership for BE basketball.

It was the NYT article. 20% more of something very small is still something small. Just pray that Fox gets more rights to add to its stable in the future, and be grateful it is a long term contract.

**NOTE: Rankings based on Scout.com Only. Players 4* or higher are listed.**

Butler
    OUT-Kameron Woods, Alex Barlow
    IN: Tyler Lewis (Tr)

Creighton
    OUT-Austin Chapman, Devin Brooks, Will Artino, Ricky Kreklow, Avery Dingman
    IN: Maurice Watson (Tr), Cole Huff (Tr), Justin Patton (4*)

DePaul
    OUT-Jamee Crockett, Greg Sequele, Forrest Robinson
    IN: No Top 100 or Transfers

Georgetown
    OUT: Josh Smith, Mikael Hopkins, Jabril Trawick, Aaron Bowen
    IN: Akoy Agau (Tr), Jessie Govan (4*), Marcus Derrickson (4*)

Marquette
    OUT: Derrick Wilson, Juan Anderson, Matt Carlino
    IN: Wally Ellenson (Tr), Traci Carter (4*), Haanif Cheatham (4*), Henry Ellenson (5*), Matt Heldt (4*)

Providence
    OUT: Carson Desrosiers, LaDonte Henton, Tyler Harris (Europe), Kris Dunn (NBA)
    IN: No Transfer/Top 100

Seton Hall:
    OUT: Haralds Karlis, Stephane Manga, Brandon Mobley, Isaiah Whitehead (NBA/Europe)

St John's
    OUT: Jamal Branch, D'Angelo Harrison, Phil Greene, Dom Pointer, Rysheed Jordan (NBA), Chris Obekpa (NBA/Europe)
    IN: Brandon Sampson (4*)

Villanova
    OUT: Darrun Hilliard, JayVaughn Pinkston
    IN: Jalen Brunson (5*), Donte Divincenzeo (4*)

Xavier
    OUT: Dee Davis, Matt Stainbrook
    Last edited by AlexJesswein; 03-13-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Based on the above--As of today, I would rank the teams as follows:

1. Villanova
    2. Georgetown
    3. Butler
    4. Xavier
    5. Marquette
    6. Creighton
    7. Providence
    8. DePaul
    9. Seton Hall
    10. St. John's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast