Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Marquette vs St John's Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Saw that as well. Juan really is a good young man. Sandy really needed some encouragement there.
    I could not get to the game, but on TV, it looked like Sandy was about to cry. That sequence came right after he fouled on the 3 pt attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Saw that as well. Juan really is a good young man. Sandy really needed some encouragement there.
    Yep, which is why I'll be there at 12:40 on Saturday clapping for the seniors. We all wish they were a bit better on the court, but off the court they have represented the university as well as any of us could ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MUwarrior1090 View Post
    Yep, which is why I'll be there at 12:40 on Saturday clapping for the seniors. We all wish they were a bit better on the court, but off the court they have represented the university as well as any of us could ask.
    These seniors have represented our university with class and dignity. I wish them all the best in the future endeavors. Oh, and by the way, for all of the Derrick Wilson haters out there, I'll bet Rick Pitino would give anything in the world to have him as his starting point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    These seniors have represented our university with class and dignity. I wish them all the best in the future endeavors. Oh, and by the way, for all of the Derrick Wilson haters out there, I'll bet Rick Pitino would give anything in the world to have him as his starting point guard.
    Derrick on the right team would be great. As has been mentioned elsewhere, Virginia's starting point guard has very similar numbers to Derrick. The problem is we don't have offensive options around him. Put Derrick on a team with 3 future NBA players and the team would be great. Put him on a team with none and the team will be crap. Unfortunately, we haven't had any the past two years. Maybe Duane or Luke, but they're still wet behind the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Derrick on the right team would be great. As has been mentioned elsewhere, Virginia's starting point guard has very similar numbers to Derrick. The problem is we don't have offensive options around him. Put Derrick on a team with 3 future NBA players and the team would be great. Put him on a team with none and the team will be crap. Unfortunately, we haven't had any the past two years. Maybe Duane or Luke, but they're still wet behind the ears.
    I understand what you are trying to say, but a pass first point guard is supposed to make everyone around him better, not the other way around. I really admire Derrick. I love his effort and his leadership. He's gotten rebounds, he's played the bottom of a zone, he gives up his body, and he is unselfish. What other point guard could you play in the post against a zone and be effective?

However, he is just not an effective point guard, at least for my taste. He is too cautious. He takes 2 or 3 dribbles than what is needed. He never looks like he has a sense of urgency, but I believe he just doesn't possess the vision that is needed as a high major point guard. He does not do a good job of passing ahead. He'll deliver the ball a second or two later than he could have. Honestly, he'd be a great post player. He's tough and he's physical. It's too bad he isn't 8 inches taller. Then again, you can say that about anyone. If he had NBA players around him, we'd be great because of those players. I'm not sure if Derrick would have made them better players. He wouldn't have made mistakes, which would be a good thing.

We've been spoiled with great point guards at Marquette. We went from Tony Miller to Hutchins. Cordell was solid, but then we had Diener then Dominic James. I liked Junior because he was tough and he passed the ball ahead really well. He was a good distributer without many wasted dribbles and he took it upon himself to hit big shots. However, he was a step down from Miller, Hutchins, Diener, and Dominic. Strictly talking about skill, Derrick was a step down from Junior. Having said that, I'm glad he's on our team. He represents Marquette the right way. He does whatever is asked of him. He is a great role player. He doesn't seem to have an ego and I think he's been a great influence on the kids.

Junior benefited from having NBA players like Jimmy, Jae, Vander, and DJO around him. With comparable surrounding talent I believe Derrick would have won just as much. Junior was a better distributor, Derrick is a better defender, both are poor shooters

Derrick won't win you many games, but he won't lose you many games either. The problem is we haven't had anyone else around him that will win you games. Ideally Derrick would be a backup. On the right team he's fine as the fourth or fifth best starter. Sadly we aren't that kind of team.

Yeah, that's a good way of describing Derrick. I agree.

Sure, Junior benefitted from those guys, but he still played the position better. He has better vision. He passed ahead. He was a better distributer. He made people around him better. There's so many times currently, when we create a 2 on 1 advantage, the ball is kicked to Derrick, and we lose that advantage because Derrick can't shoot. So, his defender is forcing the extra pass to him. Derrick's defender doesn't even play him. He's already doubling Fischer before he even has the ball. Even when Derrick has the ball, his defender his clogging up the lane. He was a better shooter than Derrick. Junior was a better point guard than Derrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Yeah, that's a good way of describing Derrick. I agree.

Sure, Junior benefitted from those guys, but he still played the position better. He has better vision. He passed ahead. He was a better distributer. He made people around him better. There's so many times currently, when we create a 2 on 1 advantage, the ball is kicked to Derrick, and we lose that advantage because Derrick can't shoot. So, his defender is forcing the extra pass to him. Derrick's defender doesn't even play him. He's already doubling Fischer before he even has the ball. Even when Derrick has the ball, his defender his clogging up the lane. He was a better shooter than Derrick. Junior was a better point guard than Derrick.
    Yep, Junior was a better PG as he had the court vision that Derrick lacks. Junior was also more of a treat to score than Derrick. As you note here, Derrick often ends up in the open with the ball after 15 seconds left on the clock and the offense has to reset itself while Derrick pounds the ball on the floor. That's been very frustrating.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678