Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some need a reality check.

Maybe none, maybe a couple. There is no way to know. There have been seven close games in league play that down the stretch could have gone either way. We won 2 of those and lost 5. Would a different defense or a different play call or a different substitution have made a difference in the outcome? Maybe but maybe not.

The reality is that we don't have many play-makers who rise to the occasion and make the crucial play - a basket, a steal, a block, a tough rebound, whatever. On offense, you need someone who can create his own shot at the end of a game - someone who can will the team to a win. Better if you have two guys, or even three, who are willing and able to take on that challenge. The closest we have to that kind of a player is Carlino, but he is not very adept at creating his own shot.

We also don't have that dynamic playmaker who can create for teammates during crunch time.

To me, at the end of a close game, it's more about leadership on the court. It's not just who can handle the pressure, but who thrives on the pressure.

Maybe we would have been 4-3 in those seven games with a different coach, but maybe we would have been 1-6, or even 0-7. No way to tell.

Bottom line: three of a kind beat a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Another question to ask is, if the best college basketball coach ever (whomever that might be) was coaching this team, how many more wins would you realistically think they could have achieved? I hardly think Wojo is perfect, but let's be realistic here.
    There are a couple of losses that could have differently with better in-game/late game coaching. However, I believe that to be basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I believe that Wojo has fared very well in the tangible things that can be measured so far, and is well on track of getting the program back to where it belongs (and landing a top 5-10 player like Henry Ellenson can rapidly speed up that process). Also, I believe that his love and appreciation for Marquette is genuine, and it feels good to hear and see that after the preceding years of tumult from all parties.
    #BringShakaHome

I am curious. Take the 70-75 "high-major" programs. Where do we rank among those 70-75 teams. What percentile?

So I just looked at Pomeroy to get an unbiased answer to this question.

In the power conferences(not including the AAC) these are the teams that are rated lower then MU.

Washington
    California
    Nebraska
    Texas Tech
    Depaul
    USC
    Auburn
    Miss State
    Washington State
    VPI
    Missouri
    Rutgers