Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High School State Tournament

I'm not sure if anyone follows the girls, but there were some crazy scores today. BC beat King. King was on a bit of a slide but that final is surprising. New Berlin West beat Ike. So West took out Pewaukee and Ike, which are two very good teams. West is on a roll.

To go continue with some themes in this thread. Cudahy was seeded first in their region. They finished 3rd in the Woodland East. Meanwhile, New Berlin Ike, Pewaukee, and New Berlin West are duking it on in their own region. They are probably all better teams than Cudahy.

Pewaukee beat Oak Creek. They beat Arrowhead. Oak Creek and Arrowhead are still alive. Pewaukee is sitting at home.

Put the top teams in different regionals. Go down to one division.

3 divisions for me. WI just not that big a state. 3 is enough.

Doesn't this also come down to football? In basketball you could have some competition with small schools against big schools, especially with one prodigious player. But in football, there is no way the D5 schools could compete with Arrowhead, Homestead, or DC Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Doesn't this also come down to football? In basketball you could have some competition with small schools against big schools, especially with one prodigious player. But in football, there is no way the D5 schools could compete with Arrowhead, Homestead, or DC Everest.

Football has seven divisions. You can treat them differently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Football has seven divisions. You can treat them differently.
    California has 7 divisions for football. Wisconsin needs 3 at the max.

Does anyone know where to find enrollment numbers? If you have 3 divisions, I'm curious to see if a school like New Berlin West would be in Division 1. Using 2013 numbers, it looks like they'd be a D2 school. Pewaukee definitely would be a D2 school and all year, they've been a top team regardless of division. Pius would be a D2 school. Brown Deer, who has a great boys team would be in D2. Plus, with 3 divisions, you still have people complaining about the private schools. Dominican, for sure, would not be in Division 1. Keep in mind that I am saying this as someone who has coached in a private school.

I wrote about 5 changes I'd like to see regarding high school basketball in Wisconsin for WisSports.net a few weeks ago.

Besides going to 18-minute halves, I would much prefer an 8-8-8-8 setup. 4 divisions of 8 teams. Use the Fieldhouse for games along with the Kohl Center on Wednesday, then have the remaining games at the Kohl Center.

Both Iowa and Minnesota have an 8-8-8-8 format. And Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Michigan have 4 divisions. Wisconsin does not need 5.

Can the Fieldhouse still host basketball? Or would it require something as simple as lifting up the volleyball floor and replacing it with a new basketball floor. Or would they have to use the Coliseum or whatever it is called now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12