Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Butler Thread

Barlow is a Senior
    Woods is a Senior
    Dunham is a Junior
    Jones is a redshirt Soph

Goes to show how important it is to keep guys around for 4 years. We counter with Derrick, a transfer and Taylor who has battled injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Barlow is a Senior
    Woods is a Senior
    Dunham is a Junior
    Jones is a redshirt Soph

Goes to show how important it is to keep guys around for 4 years. We counter with Derrick, a transfer and Taylor who has battled injuries.
    Jones is a RS junior...

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    It's funny how different people can look at the same thing and see things so differently.....if I'm being honest I think we are the least talented team in the conference.....which is the major reason why we are in last place.
    I know we talk all the time about rankings not really meaning anything, but then why do we talk about it. Over half of these guys were ranked in the RSCI Top 100. So are they not good? Is it coaching? No development?

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Well then, we need to cease discussions on recruiting and the associated rankings. Are you saying Duane isn't talented? Luke isn't talented? JJJ isn't talented? Taylor? Carlino?
    Let me explain. Marquette has some talent, but it's talent in the freshman and sophomore classes and tonight they played a team that just beats the hell out of you and is junior and senior dominated. I mentioned when they first played that 4 or 5 guys from Butler played major minutes against MU in the 2012-2013 NCAA game when the MU players were still in high school and Marquette's talent isn't head and shoulders above Butler. As was said, men versus boys tonight.

I agree with MUCrisco and I've gone farther and said MU will challenge for the top 25 late next year. I expect Wojo will recruit two guys yet who will challenge for rotation minutes, if not starter spots.

Actually Jones is a redshirt junior but your point still stands. Experience sure helps......they just manhandled us in the 2nd half....just way more physical and really got good looks or free throws on almost every possession

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Actually Jones is a redshirt junior but your point still stands. Experience sure helps......they just manhandled us in the 2nd half....just way more physical and really got good looks or free throws on almost every possession
    I get the terminology mixed up often. And this is why it is imperative to have JJJ come back. He will get better, be more mature, be stronger etc.

Completely disagree with Windy about the T. Wojo is teaching these guys to go straight up without leaving their feet. The players do everything he asks, and the refs are consistently calling it a defensive foul when the guy jumps into them. Same thing fired Wojo up during the Nova game. At some point, he needs to stand up for his players or it's hard to tell the guys to play d like that.

If Anim or Cheatham or any guard that comes in can keep his man in front of him, he will earn minutes. With Duane, Luke, and Henry I think we will have some nice offensive weapons, we need to find a guy or two who can flat out d up. I know it's been discussed here before, but as much as I want to like JJ, he's just too big of a liability on the defensive and I don't see that ever changing and because of that I don't see him earning many minutes next year.

I keep saying somebody needs to work with JJ on his shot. He turns his right hip and shoulder towards the rim when he shoots. Needs to square up like Duane and Sandy. That should be his focus this summer along with adding 10+ pounds in muscle. Easy for me to say.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    If Anim or Cheatham or any guard that comes in can keep his man in front of him, he will earn minutes. With Duane, Luke, and Henry I think we will have some nice offensive weapons, we need to find a guy or two who can flat out d up. I know it's been discussed here before, but as much as I want to like JJ, he's just too big of a liability on the defensive and I don't see that ever changing and because of that I don't see him earning many minutes next year.
    So if JJJ transfers, what happens if Anim or Cheatham can't defend? Who is to say JJJ can't get better?

If we keep exchanging guys who would be juniors for guys who are fresh out of HS, we are starting behind most teams because of lack of experience.

JJJ has shown some flashes offensively and has the quickness and length that can make him an effective defensive player.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast