Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freshmen Ineligibility Movement?

Freshmen Ineligibility Movement?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ility-freshmen

For? Against?

I have mixed feelings. I can see pros and cons.

I can not see only one or two of the so-called P-5 conferences adopting this at some point as that would lead to a huge disadvantage in terms of recruiting against the other high-majors (including the BE in basketball).

Either all the high-powered conferences do it, or none will do it.

I also question whether legally the conferences can apply this to only football and men's basketball. Seems discriminatory, especially in terms of gender. Why men's basketball but not women's? Also, why not soccer, volleyball, etc? Seems ripe for a law suit os some kind.

Assuming players would still have four years of eligibility after sitting out a year, very possible many/most football and basketball players would not want to stay a fifth year although that doesn't seem to be happening all that often in football. An awful lot of fifth-year seniors who red-shirted as frosh.

Maybe there would be a whole lot more grad transfers for that fifth year.

One thing for certain - it would certainly have an impact on the one-and-done hoops players. My guess is that many would go overseas for a year if the NBA kept its rule in tact.

Many of us are old enough to recall pre-1972 when freshmen could play on a freshmen team but not on the "varsity." We had to wait a year to see Brute Force, the Dream, Chones, McNeil, and Luke. I admit it would be hard to do that again.

Thoughts?

Your last paragraph sums it up. It ain't happening. I suspect it's just going to be about non-qualifiers under the new rule being ineligible as frosh but getting an extra year to finish eligibility.

I highly doubt it will ever happen. It would have to be uniform across the NCAA (all sports/all conferences) for it to remotely have a chance. That said, I hope and pray the BIG decides to go it alone...it would be suicide for them as far as recruiting is concerned.

This is just the NCAA trying to force the NBA into lifting the one and done rule. Blanket freshmen ineligibility is really a dumb idea IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    This is just the NCAA trying to force the NBA into lifting the one and done rule. Blanket freshmen ineligibility is really a dumb idea IMO.
    Can't really force the NBA on this. Its more about the players' union and the collective bargaining agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Can't really force the NBA on this. Its more about the players' union and the collective bargaining agreement.

Yes you are correct.

I will eat my phone if this passes.

Careful with that bet, Tulsa can tell you it is not wise to bet dining on an electronic device.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Stat update at the at the 1:30 mark. Villanova up 35-27.

MU losing rebounding battle 17-14.

Both teams shooting exactly 44.4% from the field.

Points in the paint - Villanova 12-4.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

LOL, Big Ten shooting itself in the foot recruiting wise.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Bolt/...-this-35790278

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast