Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fwiw

Not to beat a dead horse, but the more I watch Duane, the more he reminds me of Jerel a freshman. The last five-six minutes of yesterday's game was a perfect example.

Duane missed a wide open, uncontested lay up. (Jerel had a lot of trouble finishing his freshman year.)

Duane makes a nice drive to the hoop and finds Taylor open for a slam, but charges and the basket is waved off. (Vintage freshman Jerel.)

Duane grabs a crucial defensive rebound with superb hustle.

Duane nails two crucial free throws.

Jerel eventually became much better at finishing his drives, and I suspect Duane will, too. As a senior Jerel did a much better job of avoiding those charging fouls as he learned to pull up and take the 10-15 footer. I suspect Duane will, too.

Jerel had a knack of grabbing crucial rebounds. I suspect Duane will become a more effective rebounder the next few years.

Jerel had a knack for making clutch plays down the stretch (except for the Nova game when he let Redding cut back door for an easy, game-winning hoop), like his steal at USF. I suspect Duane will come up clutch for us numerous times before he ends his MU career.

Bottom line: I was extremely bullish on Jerel after seeing him in an Old Spice Chicago-New York all-star game the summer after his senior year in high school, and I have been extremely bullish on Duane after watching him on t.v. play at Dominican. The more I see of Duane, the more bullish I become. I don't know if he'll become quite the player Jerel was as a senior (second team A-A), but I think he will be damn close.
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 02-08-2015 at 09:25 AM.

The thing you want to see in young guys is the ability to get to the rim. Duane has shown that. Learning to finish can take a bit more time as the player becomes more comforatable driving into the lane and gains some moxy on how to finish. I think Duane can and will do that which is only going to open up his game more down the road.

I think JJJ has shown he can get to the rim too and who can forget that finish a couple weeks back.

If you can add two guys who can get to the rim AND finish, that is going to open up this offense quite a bit.

[QUOTE=Phantom Warrior;92989
    Bottom line: I was extremely bullish on Jerel after seeing him in an Old Spice Chicago-New York all-star game the summer after his senior year in high school, and I have been extremely bullish on Duane after watching him on t.v. play at Dominican. The more I see of Duane, the more bullish I become. I don't know if he'll become quite the player Jerel was as a senior (second team A-A), but I think he will be damn close.[/QUOTE]
    Fred, that was the DVD that I passed on to you (as originally burned for me and others by the ever famous "Chicos Bail Bonds" who is now banished to Scoop and even gets banished there periodically). That was an impressive performance by Jerel. Showed a lot of energy in that all-star game.

I think I still have that DVD somewhere. Jerel did things in that game that can't be coached. Kids either have some of those things, or they don't.

That might have been the best gift I got that spring, maybe that entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    The thing you want to see in young guys is the ability to get to the rim. Duane has shown that. Learning to finish can take a bit more time as the player becomes more comforatable driving into the lane and gains some moxy on how to finish. I think Duane can and will do that which is only going to open up his game more down the road.

I think JJJ has shown he can get to the rim too and who can forget that finish a couple weeks back.

If you can add two guys who can get to the rim AND finish, that is going to open up this offense quite a bit.
    Vander Blue is another example. Could always drive but it took time for him to learn how to finish at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Djgoldnboy View Post
    Vander Blue is another example. Could always drive but it took time for him to learn how to finish at this level.
    Yep. That is why I wanted him to continue to do it as a Frosh/Soph, as I saw the progression in McNeal and felt that Vander would have the same tract.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12