Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nova Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    If you want to make "cuts" as you refer to them, follow professional sports. The running of players is BS in college athletics.

Wojo did the right thing and didn't rush into filling scholarships. It might seem the wrong thing short term, but in the long run it's best.
    Listen, I like Wojo because he was the right program and school fit and he worked hard to give the incumbents a chance. Natural selection ran its course, however.

The competitive reality is as Kneel said, these kids were not good fits. And what happened (they left because it isn't a good fit) is the same result as "cutting" (my word, not on Wojo but that is what it would have been in. April 2014) but a year later--with Wojo scrambling late to fill spots with Jucos and Super Seniors. Hard reality today, but one could argue the kids would have been better off earlier? As kneel even points out, most of this was known or was predictable anyway. Why delay the inevitable? That is not good for anybody in the end as harsh as that is.

Any way, retrospect is not worth much other than to learn from your mistakes and move on which is what Wojo is doing. That is the most commendable thing.

I don't think you will get 'documentation' on why Mayo left but read between the lines - no one decides to go pro late summer unless he had no other options.

Either way I feel it is best that he is gone regardless. And as Ted said, I don't fault Wojo for not wasting spots on marginal players - the type that are available after the coaching carousel stops spinning. Hence the turnover, the rebuild, and the short roster.

As for running Dawson and Burton right away, maybe they didn't want to leave, and conversely, maybe Wojo thought they could be a fit if they worked hard enough and bought in to Wojo's scheme.

We would have lost, per rumors, Duane Wilson, Steve Taylor Jr. and JuJuan Johnson if Buzz had stayed. No Carlino. In exchange, we get Pierce, Shayok and Med Hill. Perhaps Burton and Dawson stay. I think we would be in the same boat if Buzz had stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by 21rooster View Post
    Last night the team played like a team whose will had been broken by the stretch of close losses. Hopefully Wojo can get the team back.

Buzz may be a coward, but he's a smart coward. He knew what he had coming back. Yes, he had a highly regarded Freshman class...but he also didn't have Carlino. I can't imagine how bad this team would be without Carlino. Last year it was his choice to leave. This season I'm not sure if he would have had a choice.

Duane Wilson would have left? Even after a redshirt year? If so, wouldn't he have had to go to a JUCO?
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    Duane Wilson would have left? Even after a redshirt year? If so, wouldn't he have had to go to a JUCO?
    I think it was just Steve Taylor and JJJ.

Duane did not like the redshirt idea and was rumored to transfer around that time. I think he ends up staying regardless of the coach, but he definitely considered leaving for a time under Buzz.
    #BringShakaHome

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345