Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nova Thread

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    As long as they can graduate on time, we will still recruit JUCOS (and expect there to be one signed in the spring). I think that is a fair expectation, especially since every player that finished their eligibility under Crean at Marquette graduated.
    The operative phrase there is "finished their eligibility"... Lots of transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    The operative phrase there is "finished their eligibility"... Lots of transfers.
    I hope Wojo is much better then his predecessors is retaining his own players (not going to judge Wojo on any Buzz player that transfers). That said, Crean was great in making sure the kids that stayed got their degrees.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    I hope Wojo is much better then his predecessors is retaining his own players (not going to judge Wojo on any Buzz player that transfers). That said, Crean was great in making sure the kids that stayed got their degrees.
    True. But not so sure about all those that left.

My first impression last Fall is that this is a small, non-physical team. Still have that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    My first impression last Fall is that this is a small, non-physical team. Still have that impression.
    Cohen, JJJ and Duane are all slight. not strong enough for the BE right now. Derrick and Carlino have the best body types on the team for the BE.

Buzz would have had Shayok, Pierce, Cohen and Hill here (and Harris I guess), knowing it was a rebuilding year. Mayo would have been here too, as would have Burton and Dawson. Taylor and JJJ would have been gone, but Duane and Luke would have been off redshirt to go with Juan and Derrick. That would have been a much better team, at least offensively and higher on the upside. But it went to hell in a hand basket fast. Not sure that is a Buzz hangover, though.

The one area of concern, or maybe of slight blame on Wojo, is the departures: Todd, Levin, Burton and Dawson (and the mystery walk on who never showed). There are reasons for all of these--mostly not being Wojo guys--which is to be expected in coach transition. With the three recruits who went elsewhere, that is a change of seven scholarship players. Add in Wally and Matt, that is nine. Wow...so my blame on Wojo: He should have made his cuts in April and thus not leaving the holes or as many. At Tech, Buzz went right to work clearing the timber. Tough I know, but the end is the same except Buzz is a year closer to rebuilding. That would have meant JUCO's in April and MU admin would have been troubled with that. However, we have to go there now this year anyway. Lost opportunity, IMO, that has set back the program considerably.

I think it has been well documented here and elsewhere that Mayo would not be here no matter the coach.

Not sure how you can blame Wojo for not making 'cuts' in the spring in any of the others (Levin left over the summer after being here a few months - wouldn't have helped this year, so who cares?) Dawson just wasn't a high major guy and Burton didn't fit in then his mom died.

Besides, what do you even mean by 'cuts'? It's not like he could have replaced them with anyone else for this year's purposes.

All in all this is a very strange and misguided critique.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    Buzz would have had Shayok, Pierce, Cohen and Hill here (and Harris I guess), knowing it was a rebuilding year. Mayo would have been here too, as would have Burton and Dawson. Taylor and JJJ would have been gone, but Duane and Luke would have been off redshirt to go with Juan and Derrick. That would have been a much better team, at least offensively and higher on the upside. But it went to hell in a hand basket fast. Not sure that is a Buzz hangover, though.

The one area of concern, or maybe of slight blame on Wojo, is the departures: Todd, Levin, Burton and Dawson (and the mystery walk on who never showed). There are reasons for all of these--mostly not being Wojo guys--which is to be expected in coach transition. With the three recruits who went elsewhere, that is a change of seven scholarship players. Add in Wally and Matt, that is nine. Wow...so my blame on Wojo: He should have made his cuts in April and thus not leaving the holes or as many. At Tech, Buzz went right to work clearing the timber. Tough I know, but the end is the same except Buzz is a year closer to rebuilding. That would have meant JUCO's in April and MU admin would have been troubled with that. However, we have to go there now this year anyway. Lost opportunity, IMO, that has set back the program considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    I think it has been well documented here and elsewhere that Mayo would not be here no matter the coach.

Not sure how you can blame Wojo for not making 'cuts' in the spring in any of the others (Levin left over the summer after being here a few months - wouldn't have helped this year, so who cares?) Dawson just wasn't a high major guy and Burton didn't fit in then his mom died.

Besides, what do you even mean by 'cuts'? It's not like he could have replaced them with anyone else for this year's purposes.

All in all this is a very strange and misguided critique.
    I have seen no documentation here that Mayo would have been gone no matter the coach. Could be wrong but if so, why wasn't his spot filled versus left open? Levin left October 16 and would have he would have been the start of the rebuilding process. Instead, MU has to again fill both of these spots with two guys. Dawson played a steady role last season, and had high major offers. Is he a high major role player? Yes, and don't we need those? Burton was not a fit either as you say, so call it early.

As to strange or misguided, it goes on all the time with a new coach. Start your regime with your guys. Call it what you will, but this is a wasted year of rebuilding with all those open slots. So, it starts right now in Year 2, that's all. He gave it a try with the current guys...it didn't work out for the most part. So it is on to Year 2 to start the rebuilding anyway.

What's your take?

If you want to make "cuts" as you refer to them, follow professional sports. The running of players is BS in college athletics.

Wojo did the right thing and didn't rush into filling scholarships. It might seem the wrong thing short term, but in the long run it's best.

Last night the team played like a team whose will had been broken by the stretch of close losses. Hopefully Wojo can get the team back.

Buzz may be a coward, but he's a smart coward. He knew what he had coming back. Yes, he had a highly regarded Freshman class...but he also didn't have Carlino. I can't imagine how bad this team would be without Carlino. Last year it was his choice to leave. This season I'm not sure if he would have had a choice.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast