Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile over in the Atlantic 10

Dayton still looks solid. While I'd rather not add, they'd be at the top of my list. Good coach, great crowds, and a philosophical match

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Dayton still looks solid. While I'd rather not add, they'd be at the top of my list. Good coach, great crowds, and a philosophical match
    And Dayton has been consistently successful over the past number of years with Purnell, Gregory, and now Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    And Dayton has been consistently successful over the past number of years with Purnell, Gregory, and now Miller.
    Yup. I get the perception some have of them. Not a huge school, not a ton of NCAA success, but they've been consistently competitive with numerous coaches. Their fans get out in support and they do put enough money into the program to keep it competitive. At this point, aside from market size, I'd say they'd be more of an asset than DePaul. I do also like that they host the First Four. Maybe not a huge deal, but it annually would get some additional, if modest, attention for the league.

At this point I really like the 10 team round robin schedule.
    Sure playing everyone twice can be a disadvantage where an unbalanced schedule can be an advantage (like Wisconsin only playing Maryland, Ohio State, Mich State, etc once, while getting teams Northwestern, Minn, Neb, Penn State twice).

Any new addition would need to result in Fox Sports upping the total tv ante for the conference. Would adding Dayton bring in an extra million to each Big East school? Would Dayton help solidify the perception of the Big East as a major, and not mid-major conference? Not picking on Dayton, add any school.

No need to add unless the new school brings each existing school more revenue, brings the conference more prestige, or brings something else to the table that benefits the conference, like lacrosse and baseball teams that helps the overall athletic makeup of the conference.

Depending on the direction the Big East wants to take, I'm not sure there are many non football playing schools out there I'd be interested in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Yup. I get the perception some have of them. Not a huge school, not a ton of NCAA success, but they've been consistently competitive with numerous coaches. Their fans get out in support and they do put enough money into the program to keep it competitive. At this point, aside from market size, I'd say they'd be more of an asset than DePaul. I do also like that they host the First Four. Maybe not a huge deal, but it annually would get some additional, if modest, attention for the league.
    The TV rating market is huge in Dayton for college football and college basketball. Many times I get listing of the top 10 markets for an event and I see Dayton listed many times.

I'm fine at 10 schools, still.
    March Madness starts in November

We're all in favor of staying at 10 schools, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    We're all in favor of staying at 10 schools, right?

For now. If it helps the perception of the conference to add a couple more down the line than I would be fine with that. For instance, if Gonzaga was located in Denver or Birmingham instead of Spokane, I would have no trouble inviting them in.

Perceived conference quality is more important than a round-robin schedule IMO.

I'd rather stay at 10 than add for the sake of it. I wouldn't be opposed to additions as long as they were sensible.

I would rather add teams, but that's just a personal preference. I'd rather see different styles of play. I like breaking down the games according to the X's and O's and I would rather watch a variety of teams. As always, my criteria to add is:
    1) Cool or famous arena
    2) Support from the administration
    3) Support from the fans

In my opinion, that along with the Big East is the recipe for teams becoming consistent high major teams. I've always said that Dayton and Wichita St fit these criteria the best and I'll stick, with those teams.

BTW, the NCAA just Dayton one of the Top Five most passionate fans.

http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball...asketball-fans

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I would rather add teams, but that's just a personal preference. I'd rather see different styles of play. I like breaking down the games according to the X's and O's and I would rather watch a variety of teams. As always, my criteria to add is:
    1) Cool or famous arena
    2) Support from the administration
    3) Support from the fans

In my opinion, that along with the Big East is the recipe for teams becoming consistent high major teams. I've always said that Dayton and Wichita St fit these criteria the best and I'll stick, with those teams.

BTW, the NCAA just Dayton one of the Top Five most passionate fans.

http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball...asketball-fans
    I would agree. Wichita St. In particular. Otherwise, VCU or Dayton would be nice. Give the league more critical mass. Round-robin schedules are nice, but I'm not hung up on that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast