Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile over in the Atlantic 10

Why is Wardle going anywhere. Green Bay will crab their pants like they always do in March.
    March Madness starts in November

Was Wardle a serious candidate for the Marquette job? I thought he was given pretty much a courtesy interview. I think he is a fine young coach and he is on his way up, but I do not see him as being ready to take on a program at this level this early in his career. As for DePaul, I think it depends. Brian has a pretty nice situation at GB. He has what he needs to compete in the league, and last year he had the best team. He might have a shot at bigger jobs in the near future, especially if he can get his team into the tournament and win a game or two. DePaul has been the graveyard of coaches for a long time. I can see the appeal of returning to Chicago and stepping up, but I am not sure it is a good position.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    Was Wardle a serious candidate for the Marquette job? I thought he was given pretty much a courtesy interview. I think he is a fine young coach and he is on his way up, but I do not see him as being ready to take on a program at this level this early in his career. As for DePaul, I think it depends. Brian has a pretty nice situation at GB. He has what he needs to compete in the league, and last year he had the best team. He might have a shot at bigger jobs in the near future, especially if he can get his team into the tournament and win a game or two. DePaul has been the graveyard of coaches for a long time. I can see the appeal of returning to Chicago and stepping up, but I am not sure it is a good position.

Yeah, I think he needs to string together a couple good years - and he loses his top two scorers after this year.

I think making at least 1 NCAA tournament would be a good start for Brian....

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Yes, would think that would be a "requisite" for a Mid-Major coach to move up. I'm sure there are some that have moved up to a "high major" w/o that, but those are probably the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Yes, would think that would be a "requisite" for a Mid-Major coach to move up. I'm sure there are some that have moved up to a "high major" w/o that, but those are probably the exceptions.
    One of the exceptions was Bo Ryan.
    Coached at UWM for two years and barely had a winning record in his two seasons.
    Of course he had a long history of winning at the D3 level.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    This is why I think Brian should take an intermediary job in a league outside the top six, but where you can realistically earn an at-large bid. Green Bay should put together back-to-back strong records, but they are playing in a one-bid league. This season, they have an equal in Valaparaiso that they will have to topple to make the NCAA's.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Why is Wardle going anywhere. Green Bay will crab their pants like they always do in March.
    If I recall correctly, Green Bay did not play with Keifer Sykes in the CBI and he played with a serious injury against Milwaukee last season in the Horizon Tournament. Pretty devastating to lose your best player in March.

He got hurt versus Milwaukee, but returned. It was in the NIT they lost to Belmont. Todd Kowalczyk had a solid team as a 2 seed and got bounce right away just like last year. Last time Green Bay was in the tournament was 1996 and I think they haven't played in a title game since the late 90's.
    March Madness starts in November

Both Alec Brown and Kiefer Sykes were injured for Horizon League Tournament.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast