Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Meanwhile over in the Atlantic 10

UConn does not fit the profile, both because of football and because it is public. The original BE was designed to be both public and private, and centered on men's basketball. The explosion of football only emphasized the differences between public and private schools. Different funding, different size, different missions. I think the schools together today all fit each other and the administrators understand each other. So UConn is out. Louisville has no desire to go anywhere. Cincinnati does, but not to the Big East.

Notre Dame is not so crazy, and when the Catholic 7 split from the Big East, they seriously considered going along. Then decided against it because the ACC was a better fit for their other sports. The managed to work out an acceptable deal for football. I think they could have fit, but now that they are in the ACC, I do not see them going anywhere. I still think the formula for expansion is Saint Louis and....

Would have been huge if Notre Dame had joined the new Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Would have been huge if Notre Dame had joined the new Big East.
    Notre Dame needed the ACC's bowl ties to ensure they would get invited to bowls. That will prevent them from moving anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    I still think the formula for expansion is Saint Louis and....
    I don't think there is a formula for expansion right now. None of the alleged candidates bring anything to the table. SLU, Dayton, VCU, etc. bring little in the way of fanbases, market penetration or strengthening the conference from a basketball perspective. The tv contract for entire A-10 is about the same as for 1 BE school per year. Hence, it seems like the BE conference is has come to this realization that the A-10 schools provide little value and they are happy at 10.

Now, I think the BE would expand if say UC and UConn wanted to join. Yeah, there is the football issue, but those schools have long histories with the BE schools. It would be mutually beneficial for both the schools and the conference. Plus, if they do get into a BCS conference someday, the BE can protect itself with huge exit fees. Trouble is, neither school will drop football, so they are somewhat stick in their situation, not wanted by the BCS but a step above CUSA, Sun Belt and MAC. Unless something creative comes along, I don't see this scenario playing out. So, I think the BE will be at 10 for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    I don't think there is a formula for expansion right now. None of the alleged candidates bring anything to the table. SLU, Dayton, VCU, etc. bring little in the way of fanbases, market penetration or strengthening the conference from a basketball perspective. The tv contract for entire A-10 is about the same as for 1 BE school per year. Hence, it seems like the BE conference is has come to this realization that the A-10 schools provide little value and they are happy at 10.

Now, I think the BE would expand if say UC and UConn wanted to join. Yeah, there is the football issue, but those schools have long histories with the BE schools. It would be mutually beneficial for both the schools and the conference. Plus, if they do get into a BCS conference someday, the BE can protect itself with huge exit fees. Trouble is, neither school will drop football, so they are somewhat stick in their situation, not wanted by the BCS but a step above CUSA, Sun Belt and MAC. Unless something creative comes along, I don't see this scenario playing out. So, I think the BE will be at 10 for the long haul.

The only way I see BE expansion coming is if a television partner makes it worth the conference's while. (Not likely.) Or if some basketball only school puts on a run that makes their candidacy a no brainer. For instance, what if St. Louis went to a few final fours? (I don't think this is likely either.)

So IOW, I agree with your final assessment!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Notre Dame needed the ACC's bowl ties to ensure they would get invited to bowls. That will prevent them from moving anywhere.
    It's not only the bowl tie-ins. It's football scheduling. With the growth of the super-mega-too large conferences such as the B1G Network (er, conference), there are more and more conference football games. Throw in the revenue from buy games, and there are fewer and fewer home and homes. ND was finding it more difficult to fill their schedule. The deal with the ACC guarantees them either 4 or 5 games annually.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456