Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MU Sports Medicine Partners with Bucks

I find the location of the building to be really intriguing. The university has been buying properties up and down Wells for the past couple years and spreading slightly further north. This location might be the farthest east the campus has spread. Interesting to see everything starting to fill in and expand although I do miss my Blo's lasagna sticks and Gyros.
    Everything negative -- pressure, challenges -- are all an opportunity for me to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    One of my daughters went to college for Sports Medicine. There were 6, I believe, in the Midwest. The only two in Wisconsin were UW - La Crosse and UW - Madison. La Crosse had the better reputation. MU did not have one.

Is it similar to an Athletic Training major? Marquette has one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I wondered the same. Would this be an extension of the Athletic Training, a new major, an area of both Athletic training and PT?

Not completely. Most schools that excel in Athletic Training also have Sports Medicine. Sports Medicine is a specialized field of study. Somewhat surprised MU does not have this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    You do not have to trust me, look at the other universities that have both majors, but it is not the same.

As I stated, my daughter is studying Sports Medicine. She is not studying to be a Sports Trainer as others at La Crosse are.

I guess to put it in simple terms, an athlete is referred to the Sports Medicine department by the Athletic Trainer. That is where my daughter became interested, when she was injured in her sport and referred to Sports Medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I don't know about the arena, but it sounds like the new MU practice facility would have indoor fields for soccer, lacrosse and also a track. It will also have the new state of the art, world class sports medicine facility. Wouldn't the Bucks want their new practice facility be as close to, or attached to the world class sports medicine facility? I would think yes.
    Would there be enough room on that land to house the Bucks practice facility, MU's Lacrosse/soccer/indoor track facilities, as well as the academic/research/sports medicine facilities required for this project?

Quote Originally Posted by DCwarrior View Post
    Would there be enough room on that land to house the Bucks practice facility, MU's Lacrosse/soccer/indoor track facilities, as well as the academic/research/sports medicine facilities required for this project?
    Yes indeed.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    You do not have to trust me, look at the other universities that have both majors, but it is not the same.

As I stated, my daughter is studying Sports Medicine. She is not studying to be a Sports Trainer as others at La Crosse are.

I guess to put it in simple terms, an athlete is referred to the Sports Medicine department by the Athletic Trainer. That is where my daughter became interested, when she was injured in her sport and referred to Sports Medicine.

So it is something kind of "in between" a trainer and a full-fledged doctor?

So it is something kind of "in between" a trainer and a full-fledged doctor?
    Yes. That is a good way to describe it. My kids saw them at UW Health & Clinics. They are part of the staff. You get referred to them by your doctor (through the trainer, if necessary).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast