Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NHL for Milwaukee?

But if the BC is inadequate for the NBA, it will be considered inadequate for the NHL too. Kansas City at least has a new arena. And if Seattle gets an arena for the NBA, they would also get the NHL ahead of Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    But if the BC is inadequate for the NBA, it will be considered inadequate for the NHL too. Kansas City at least has a new arena. And if Seattle gets an arena for the NBA, they would also get the NHL ahead of Milwaukee.
    There is some truth to those statements, but part of the BCs problem is that it was build for hockey. Good hockey seats aren't the same as good bball seats. Seats that suck for bball are considered pretty good for hockey. Plus, there is around $100 million in deferred maintenance needed at the BC if a new arena isn't built and the state is on the hook for it. Pump $100 million into a hockey first venue where you will be the primary tenant and the BC starts looking like a much more interesting option.

I actually think the NHL expands by 8 in the next 20 years. Its easy money for the owners and there are a number of mid markets looking for a team. I don't see NHL owners passing on the opportunity, even if it waters down the league. KC, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Las Vegas, Seattle, and others all want in. So, I may be more optimistic than most. If nothing else, Milwaukee is a great sports town. Brewers draw the most per capita in baseball. NFL fans drive 2 1/2 hours for a home game. MU is usually at the top of attendance for schools without football or those competing with a NBA team. Even the Bucks, who have stuck since Herb bought the team, but for a few isolated years, drew relatively well until the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    There is some truth to those statements, but part of the BCs problem is that it was build for hockey. Good hockey seats aren't the same as good bball seats. Seats that suck for bball are considered pretty good for hockey. Plus, there is around $100 million in deferred maintenance needed at the BC if a new arena isn't built and the state is on the hook for it. Pump $100 million into a hockey first venue where you will be the primary tenant and the BC starts looking like a much more interesting option.

I actually think the NHL expands by 8 in the next 20 years. Its easy money for the owners and there are a number of mid markets looking for a team. I don't see NHL owners passing on the opportunity, even if it waters down the league. KC, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Las Vegas, Seattle, and others all want in. So, I may be more optimistic than most. If nothing else, Milwaukee is a great sports town. Brewers draw the most per capita in baseball. NFL fans drive 2 1/2 hours for a home game. MU is usually at the top of attendance for schools without football or those competing with a NBA team. Even the Bucks, who have stuck since Herb bought the team, but for a few isolated years, drew relatively well until the past 5 years.
    Not so sure about the validity of that $100 million #. Marc Marotta threw that out there last year saying the BC would need repairs of that amount over the next 10 to 12 years. Seems rather high.

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post

No way they expand by 8, that would put them at 38 teams and the product would be so watered down, not to mention a 38 team league is extremely large and much larger than all the other professional sports leagues. I think what is more likely, they will expand by 2 and even out the divisions, and then relocate a few of the under performing franchises.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123