Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NHL for Milwaukee?

I would be shocked, though one big block to the Pettit attempt was Old Man Wirtz in Chicago. Not sure Rocky would have the same issues. That would have to be explored. As it mentions, there'd also have to be an investor. Might be more likely to get a team to move here than to start one anew. Depends on if someone was willing to do that. If you could get a commitment soon (seems unlikely) another investor could finalize any needs for arena funding.

That said, one of the issues with the BC is that it's used primarily as a basketball venue but designed for hockey. How well would a hockey arena fit into a venue designed for basketball? Would they have to remove seating when the ice was out?

It would be awesome to have an NHL team in Milwaukee, and I think a perspective team could reallly click with the city (and honestly believe an NHL team to be a better cultural fit then the NBA). However, this article is basically idle speculation that I could have talking with friends.
    #BringShakaHome

Yeah, I'd love an NHL franchise, but this article is pure speculation. It's being done in other cities where NHL teams share homes with NBA teams, I don't think that would be a hurdle, you can make a basketball first arena that can be adopted for Hockey, the issue with the BC is it was built for Hockey first...
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Blackhawks would block it.
    March Madness starts in November

I'm a season ticket holder, I'm not sure Hawks would block it. They are going to add 2 teams in the west, one in each division. If u are hawks so you want to travel to Seattle 2-3 times per year or Milwaukee. This is about TV rev and franchise fee. Not about ticket rev. I think it will be Vegas and Quebec. But I'm not convinced wirtz would block it. Hawks need another natural geography rivalry. We lost det last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Blackhawks would block it.
    Not so sure about that any more. It was Old Man Bill Wirtz that blocked out before. The same guy that didn't want Blackhawks games televised because it would cut into his attendance numbers. Since his son Rocky took over the 'Hawks have been much more forward thinking. I heard that part of the reason they didn't want Milwaukee to have a franchise was because Bill believed it would cut into their sales and revenue.

Rocky may actually see another local rival as a good thing. Give their fans a road game in driving distance and draw more Milwaukee hockey fans down to the UC for road games. I don't presume to know how Rocky thinks, but just because the Blackhawks blocked Milwaukee two decades ago doesn't mean they would today. Things are radically different there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Not so sure about that any more. It was Old Man Bill Wirtz that blocked out before. The same guy that didn't want Blackhawks games televised because it would cut into his attendance numbers. Since his son Rocky took over the 'Hawks have been much more forward thinking. I heard that part of the reason they didn't want Milwaukee to have a franchise was because Bill believed it would cut into their sales and revenue.

Rocky may actually see another local rival as a good thing. Give their fans a road game in driving distance and draw more Milwaukee hockey fans down to the UC for road games. I don't presume to know how Rocky thinks, but just because the Blackhawks blocked Milwaukee two decades ago doesn't mean they would today. Things are radically different there now.
    It's hard to believe that Rocky is Bill's offspring - their mindset could not be more different. Blackhawks' organization was almost at the very bottom of all the major 4 sports and now they are near the top and a real fun team to watch and cheer for - a real professional organization. Only problem it is a real tough ticket now. Me and 3 buddies would go to at least one game a year - have a nice Italian dinner on Taylor Street and head to the game. Going to our first game in years on the 9th. Unfortunately, not against any of the other original 6, but beggars can't be choosers.

The article brings up a good point. Can Milwaukee sustain 2 major league winter sport teams? I know it's about TV dollars, but there is still a big corporate responsibility to back the team to buy up the suites/high priced tickets.

As a basketball loving hockey dad, I love the Admirals. Good enough quality of play and you can sit on the glass for $30-$40. Also not that it's a huge deal, but most hockey players in SE wisconsin are all about the blackhawks. There's some Admiral gear and Wild gear out there, but it's minimal compared to Blackhawks stuff. At a minimum, I can see Milwaukee cutting into their merchandising.

I don't think the NHL is a better cultural fit than the NBA in Milwaukee. Milwaukee has shown that if you provide the city with a quality NBA product, they will turn out. Furthermore Marquette has huge attendance for a private school. If the Admiral attendance is any indication, while hockey is still growing in the city, it has a long way to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast