Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buzz responsible for what we have become?

Playing Davante at the 4 was a dumb idea from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by 21rooster View Post
    In terms of the original question, yes...I put this season squarely on Buzz, in terms of player selection and inability/unwillingness to develop players (particularly) last year. Buzz knew what he was leaving behind when he "upgraded" to VT.

In terms of where we are now, I guess I came away from last night with a more optimistic view of the team's current status. We've held serve at this point in conference, winning both of our home games and having a chance to win every one of our road games. As mentioned by another poster, our record versus the spread is very good. I understand that many people (including me) don't like moral victories, but given the make-up of this team, those results are extremely encouraging. Think about it...we had a chance to win last night, on a night when three of our eight players combined for two points in 64 minutes...and two of those guys are replaced next year. We had a chance at the end at Georgetown, where even Nova got blown out. Yes, turnovers resulted in very disappointing finishes at DePaul and Xavier, but the team showed in can win if it can learn discipline...something that wasn't taught last season...and something clearly being emphasized by Wojo. If we can play this well with eight guys who are square pegs trying to fit in round holes, I am extremely encouraged to see what happens when we get more disciplined players who fit with Wojo's plan. I'm not giving up on this year's team...we're still net zero on Big East road wins and home losses...but I feel like this season and last are clearly trough seasons where we have to appreciate the progress.
    I think many Marquette fans are feeling the pain after the highs of 2012-2013 season, winning the Big East, making the Elite 8, and having a top 10 recruiting class on the way. This was after back to back Sweet 16's and a run of eight consecutive NCAA trips (with only one bid in any doubt). We looked to be rolling as a program, and had a rightful belief that we could be the powerhouse of the reconstructed Big East. Fast forward to now, where we are in some danger of missing all postseason tournaments for the second straight year and likely will have a second straight bottom half finish in conference.

However, I am with you, and am very optimistic about the future and next year (and do not believe we need the serious squad reparations that many fans are postulating about). After the nadir of the Omaha game (and NJIT aftershock), this team has competed in every game and at this point has been unlucky not to win a couple of these close losses. Everyone on this current team has developed in some fashion, and many of them look significantly improved. Even Matt Carlino's shot looks much smoother then his BYU days, and his three point shooting percentage is much higher this year for a reason (despite having to take a good number of contested shots). If this team can start protecting the ball at something nearing the level we did in non-conference play, we may even surprise and win a bunch of games this season. The Big East is back in its perch as a top conference, and we have seen that fighting hard does not ensure victory. However, I think we ascend to the top of the conference starting next year and will be back in a groove shortly.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Playing Davante at the 4 was a dumb idea from the beginning.
    Yep. The OxTule lineup should have been used only situationally.

True, we all know that now, but going into that season people were excited that MU had a true 4-5 combo for the first time in ages. It wasn't until the season began that the staff or the fans realized that those two simply didn't produce while on the floor together.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    True, we all know that now, but going into that season people were excited that MU had a true 4-5 combo for the first time in ages. It wasn't until the season began that the staff or the fans realized that those two simply didn't produce while on the floor together.

They tried it the year before and it worked for one half of one game. (Syracuse) The second time they played Syracuse, it was awful. A lot of people thought that wouldn't work.

There was a stretch in the Cuse elite 8 tourney game where Chris & Ox were on the floor together and we went on a bit of a run. That lineup was brief, so was the run. Bad memories. Only Vander and Ox showed up in that game. Perhaps my memory is cloudy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I certainly was not one of those and maintained all along that it was lineup for occasional situations. Not a good pairing for 98% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFLA View Post
    There was a stretch in the Cuse elite 8 tourney game where Chris & Ox were on the floor together and we went on a bit of a run. That lineup was brief, so was the run. Bad memories. Only Vander and Ox showed up in that game. Perhaps my memory is cloudy

I don't think that was the E8 game. It was effective in their game at the BC, but Boeheim planned for it the next time around by denying Ox the ball and forcing our guards to shoot.

I am very optimistic about the future and have turned the page in regards to Buzz. Only Carlino and Cohen are Wojo recruits. Cohen had already committed to MU, he grew up a MU fan and always dreamed of playing at MU. This year's struggles are a clear result of a coach leaving, only having 8 guys. If Wojo stays at least 10 years here, as he and Lovell discussed in the interviews, MU will see great success again and maybe even more than we had with Buzz.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast