Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Delay in New Arena Site Selection

Delay in New Arena Site Selection

According to the Biz Journal, the Bucks owners may need to push back announcing their proposed location for the new facility until after January.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...e-delayed.html

I personally hope it is still the JS building / arena site.
    I'm glad the Bucks owners are taking the time to make sure they get it right.

Could the delay mean they are working with the JS to give them adequate time to find a new office building for the handful of employees that still work downtown?

My take is that the Arena and JS building site is the preferred location, but they are using the site north of the BC as a bargaining chip. JS isn't likely going to get a better deal for that building than what they are offering now. I don't think we have heard anything from Gimbel for awhile, which is interesting. Something must be going on behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    My take is that the Arena and JS building site is the preferred location, but they are using the site north of the BC as a bargaining chip. JS isn't likely going to get a better deal for that building than what they are offering now. I don't think we have heard anything from Gimbel for awhile, which is interesting. Something must be going on behind the scenes.
    Don't think the JS has much of a market if any for that building. The building is rather useless and needs to be torn down. That cost can be folded into the development of the new arena. For JS and other potential buyers, the building/demolition is a real albatross.

Agreed. If they really wanted the site north of the BC, it would be announced already.

The locations the Bucks are considering "are within a professional baseball throwing distance of each other."

-----Sounds like JS building and Panther Arena to me.
    March Madness starts in November

My guess is they are still shooting for the JS Building but the JS is trying to play hardball and get a better offer. Won't happen. JS' employees won't be homeless, there is a plan for that too. JS just needs to accept.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    My guess is they are still shooting for the JS Building but the JS is trying to play hardball and get a better offer. Won't happen. JS' employees won't be homeless, there is a plan for that too. JS just needs to accept.
    This seems so obvious, why wouldn't the JS jump at the chance to dump a building they have no need for? Do they expect greater growth downtown once the new arena is built in another spot and they can then get more for the land down the line?

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    This seems so obvious, why wouldn't the JS jump at the chance to dump a building they have no need for? Do they expect greater growth downtown once the new arena is built in another spot and they can then get more for the land down the line?

Hardball can be played by both sides. Its an asset that they can only sell once. Why not negotiate?

I've always had the impression it was Gimbel and the Arena that was more of a holdup than the JS building.

Hardball can be played by both sides. Its an asset that they can only sell once. Why not negotiate?
    True. I was basing my question on the assumption that they don't end up selling for the new arena. In that case, what would be the logic? And the new owners sounded like they had moved on so that sounds more like people not willing to sell as opposed to playing hardball.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast