Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Carlino's 3

I found this: "Prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations prescribed by Rule 2-12.3, the officials must recognize a potential correctable error and signal to the scorer that an instant replay review is required. This review shall take place at the next electronic-media timeout except during the last 4 minutes of the second period or the entire overtime period(s) during which time the correctable error time frame in Rule 2-12.3 must be used."

I can't find what the hell Rule 2-12.3 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamostradamus View Post
    I found this: "Prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations prescribed by Rule 2-12.3, the officials must recognize a potential correctable error and signal to the scorer that an instant replay review is required. This review shall take place at the next electronic-media timeout except during the last 4 minutes of the second period or the entire overtime period(s) during which time the correctable error time frame in Rule 2-12.3 must be used."

I can't find what the hell Rule 2-12.3 is.
    Art. 3. When the officials’ error as in Rule 2-12.1.e is made while the game
    clock is running and the ball becomes dead after a successful goal, it must be
    recognized and corrected by an official before the second live ball. (Exception:
    11-2.1.b.1)

If I'm reading this right (insert snide comment here), the rule can lead to a mega cluster.

Imagine that instead of being down 2, MU is down 3. Carlino's three ties the game and Creighton opts not to call timeout and instead runs down court. Being tied, Marquette does not foul and Creighton misses the shot. OT, right? Wait, so time expiring is the first dead ball and John "Inept" Gaffney and Mike "Ted Valentine is my idol" Stephens go to the monitor and determine the shot was a 2. Result, Creighton wins.

Clearly, MU would have fouled immediately if they are down 2 but instead played D because the refs ruled it a 3 and the rules don't allow the refs to check right away.

Query: Do the rules allow the refs to stop play and check in this instance? Or does the "and the ball becomes dead after a successful goal" mean they can check right then as the clock stops after a made field goal in the final minute? If not, a big part of me wants this scenario to happen in a National Championship game. Imagine the uproar. Heh.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    If I'm reading this right (insert snide comment here), the rule can lead to a mega cluster.

Imagine that instead of being down 2, MU is down 3. Carlino's three ties the game and Creighton opts not to call timeout and instead runs down court. Being tied, Marquette does not foul and Creighton misses the shot. OT, right? Wait, so time expiring is the first dead ball and John "Inept" Gaffney and Mike "Ted Valentine is my idol" Stephens go to the monitor and determine the shot was a 2. Result, Creighton wins.

Clearly, MU would have fouled immediately if they are down 2 but instead played D because the refs ruled it a 3 and the rules don't allow the refs to check right away.

Query: Do the rules allow the refs to stop play and check in this instance? Or does the "and the ball becomes dead after a successful goal" mean they can check right then as the clock stops after a made field goal in the final minute? If not, a big part of me wants this scenario to happen in a National Championship game. Imagine the uproar. Heh.
    The official has discretion. The rule states "before the second live ball". In the last minute, the ball is dead with a made basket, thus they could review it immediately with the successful basket. If that was close play or in question, I would have guessed that they would have reviewed it immediately. None of the officials really questioned it and to call for a review would have given both teams a "free" time out. Instead, they let play continue and if one team called a TO, they would have reviewed it at that time, otherwise they wait until the end. The rule, IMHO, is written with the "before the second live ball" wording for just this purpose. Otherwise, they would say first dead ball, which would be either a stoppage in play or time out. Remember, this rule is to cover everything after the last media timeout.

In your query and if it was in question, the review would have been immediate.
    Last edited by MUMac; 01-16-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12