Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Ohio State and FBS Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I'd like a 12 team playoff, with the top four getting a week one bye. That way everyone in the top ten has a chance.
    They do have a chance, win your conference!
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Mac - you mention "hype from the college championships". I was forced to listen to a good part of the 4th quarter of that game on the radio in the car. It was weird, they never said "Oregon" or "Ohio State". It was constantly " First down for the PAC 12 Champions".... or "A huge stop on 3rd and short for Ohio State, Champions of the Big 10 conference".... "Fourth down coming up for Oregon, representing the PAC 12"....

It didn't stop. I can see it once or twice, but constantly? It was like the self appointed Big 5 put it in their TV contract.
    I meant hype from the NFC and AFC Conference Championships. The NCAA could play off of that period with the press.

As an aside, I always thought the NBA has missed that opportunity, as the NCAA is such a big thing and if they could ever get their schedule to fit with the NBA Playoff following right after, it could generate more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    They do have a chance, win your conference!
    Tell that to TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I meant hype from the NFC and AFC Conference Championships. The NCAA could play off of that period with the press.

As an aside, I always thought the NBA has missed that opportunity, as the NCAA is such a big thing and if they could ever get their schedule to fit with the NBA Playoff following right after, it could generate more interest.
    One problem with playing the title game that late. The 2nd Semester for most (if not all schools) would be in session. Seniors that have graduated in 3.5-4.5 years and underclassmen turning pro are done with classes, while grey shirts and early enrollers are joining the programs to get ready for spring ball. There are scholarship games played with the 1st and 2nd semester split for counting players against the yearly 25 and overall 85. Not that schools couldn't figure it out but it would put a small wrench in the current recruiting strategies used by football coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorNich View Post
    One problem with playing the title game that late. The 2nd Semester for most (if not all schools) would be in session. Seniors that have graduated in 3.5-4.5 years and underclassmen turning pro are done with classes, while grey shirts and early enrollers are joining the programs to get ready for spring ball. There are scholarship games played with the 1st and 2nd semester split for counting players against the yearly 25 and overall 85. Not that schools couldn't figure it out but it would put a small wrench in the current recruiting strategies used by football coaches.

How does Oregon handle this? They are on a quarter system, so their "Winter Term" classes started January 5. Do they not bring in early enrollers until their "Spring Term" begins in late March?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Tell that to TCU.
    Get a conference championship game. 12-1 beats 11-1

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorNich View Post
    Good point. As for the scholarship split, that would not be impacted, as the ones who no longer are on scholarship would not have the need anyway. I am not sure it would be the hurdle to overcome. May need some thought and tweaks, but I would doubt it would be the lynchpin.

Under current NCAA rules they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Under current NCAA rules they can't.
    They will get the waiver from the other leagues. If, not they will have to go to 12 teams.

Not to mention that the 13th game is against a team that almost always strengthens the schedule.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123