Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big East vs. So-Called Power 5...

One thing that really helps a school achieve that marquee status, in addition to winning, is a recognizable championship coach with a long track record of winning at the school.
    Old Big East had John Thompson, Carneseca, Massimino, Boheim, Calhoun.
    Newer Big East had Pitino, Boheim, Calhoun, JT3, Huggins, and to a lesser extent Wright, Dixon, Buzz.

Doesn't mean winning it all multiple times, but having a title and staying long term at the school while creating the perception of always being a contender nationally.

Top level / Considered Marquee Teams
    Kentucky - Calipari (1 national title)
    Duke - Coach K (multiple titles)
    Louisville - Pitino (won titles at both KY and Louisville)
    Kansas - Self (1 title)
    Michigan State - Izzo (1 title)
    Syracuse - Boheim (1 title)
    North Carolina - Williams (2 titles)
    UConn - Calhoun (3 titles) followed by Ollie (1 title)

Close - But Not Marquee
    Arizona (no title since Lute)
    Florida (Donovan won 2, but I don't think Florida is a marquee team)
    UCLA (legacy has juice, but no longer marquee)
    Indiana (legacy has juice, but no longer marquee)

In addition to some deep NCAA runs, the Big East needs winning programs with coaching stability. Win a national title and Jay Wright would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Honest question:

In the old Big East, and I mean when the conference first started, who were considered the marquee teams?
    Georgetown, Syracuse, and St John's. Later Pitt.

VS

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    Georgetown, Syracuse, and St John's. Later Pitt.

VS
    Not when the BE first started. Georgetown was just making a name for itsef, but still in its infancy, but Georgetown had not been to the Sweet 16 or beyond since 1943, prior to the start of the BE. Cuse was further along, with a few Sweet 16's and had some years in the 60's. Dave Bing was the name that everyone associated Cuse with. Cuse was just getting rolling. St. Johns had Louie and was the name and draw of the league from the start. I would also include Providence, especially coming off of the Dave Gavitt era. Pitt came in a few years after the start, but was not the name at the beginning. They likely benefited more from the BE initially, than the BE benefited from them.

Crisco was comparing inception of the old BE to the new BE. I would say that it was St. Johns, Providence and Cuse that were the names at the time. And their names were not synonymous to what they are today. They were not the draw that other name programs were in the late 70's. I would say they were analogous to today's BE.

Cuse did make the FF in '75 in Roy Danforth's last year. SU has been in the FF once per decade since the '70's - pretty impressive.

Can't believe MU played UK in the first game that year before seeding.

Didn't G-Town make a decent run prior to the '82 championship game with a group of relative no names - I was thinking it was '75, but they lost their first game too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_NC...all_Tournament
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 01-06-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Cuse did make the FF in '75 in Roy Danforth's last year. SU has been in the FF once per decade since the '70's - pretty impressive.

Can't believe MU played UK in the first game that year before seeding.

Didn't G-Town make a decent run prior to the '82 championship game with a group of relative no names - I was thinking it was '75, but they lost their first game too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_NC...all_Tournament
    Some interesting / big time coaching names in that group of 32 teams.

G-town did make the Elite 8 in '80 losing to Ronnie Lester and Iowa by one but that was after the start of the BE, not before as I had thought - Sleepy Floyd was the only sexy name on that team. That was a fun FF - Lester was lightning quick - too bad he blew out his knee.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...1980-ncaa.html

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    One thing that really helps a school achieve that marquee status, in addition to winning, is a recognizable championship coach with a long track record of winning at the school.
    Old Big East had John Thompson, Carneseca, Massimino, Boheim, Calhoun.
    Newer Big East had Pitino, Boheim, Calhoun, JT3, Huggins, and to a lesser extent Wright, Dixon, Buzz.

Doesn't mean winning it all multiple times, but having a title and staying long term at the school while creating the perception of always being a contender nationally.

Top level / Considered Marquee Teams
    Kentucky - Calipari (1 national title)
    Duke - Coach K (multiple titles)
    Louisville - Pitino (won titles at both KY and Louisville)
    Kansas - Self (1 title)
    Michigan State - Izzo (1 title)
    Syracuse - Boheim (1 title)
    North Carolina - Williams (2 titles)
    UConn - Calhoun (3 titles) followed by Ollie (1 title)

Close - But Not Marquee
    Arizona (no title since Lute)
    Florida (Donovan won 2, but I don't think Florida is a marquee team)
    UCLA (legacy has juice, but no longer marquee)
    Indiana (legacy has juice, but no longer marquee)

In addition to some deep NCAA runs, the Big East needs winning programs with coaching stability. Win a national title and Jay Wright would be there.

No question, Arizona is is a marquee program.

Big East has now edged out Big 12 as #1 RPI conference....at least for today......

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/conferencerpi

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Big East has now edged out Big 12 as #1 RPI conference....at least for today......

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/conferencerpi
    Big East has 7 top 40 teams, with the other three being Depaul at 174, Creighton at 138 and MU at 98.

By comparison,
    The Big Ten has 2 top 40 teams and 12 teams outside the top 40, four of which are over 100.
    The ACC has 4 top 40 teams and 11 teams outside top 40, five of which are over 100.

The Big East also the third best overall winning percentage (Big 12 and ACC are higher).

Pretty good so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast