Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big East vs. So-Called Power 5...

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Honest question:

In the old Big East, and I mean when the conference first started, who were considered the marquee teams?

As long as the conference stays strong, I believe one can emerge. I believe competitions breeds winners. If our conference stays strong, order to compete in our conference, you have to stay on top of things. You have to recruit well. You have to hire the best coaches. With all of that, an elite team should emerge. Louisville probably wasn't considered a top tier team, and now everybody knows them. The same could be said about UConn. Heck, Michigan State probably rose to that level. Hopefully we can be that team.
    I agree one can emerge. Stable and identifiable winning coaches helps.

Initially, way back, I think it was Georgetown (Thompson), St. John's (Carneseca) and Villanova (Massimino). St John's didn't win a national title like Villanova and Georgetown, but Carneseca had some top teams, and all had top players. ESPN helped with providing national exposure.

In the MU era of the Big East I think it was UConn (Calhoun), Syracuse (Boheim), Louisville (Pitino) and to a lesser extent Georgetown.
    UConn with 4 titles since 1999, Syracuse and Louisville both won a title. Numerous NCAA trips.

Right now in the conference it looks like Villanova and Jay Wright have a chance to be that program, and the Thompson legacy with JT3 helps Georgetown.
    Hopefully Wojo stays and can build MU into that nationally recognized top level team.

There really weren't any true marquee teams. Providence, Syracuse, and Georgetown were all well regarded, but it isn't like they were regularly battling Marquette, UCLA, UNC, and other truly top tier schools for titles. They were pretty regular in the tourney and had chances to go to the Final Four if things broke right, but they weren't really any more potent than Villanova is.

Georgetown became a beast in short order. Within 5 years they were a premier program, but while they got there in the 1980s they were not there in the 1970s before the founding of the Big East.

The "NotMarkMiller" person who posts on Buckyville is obviously not me. Odd that somebody would use that as a name to post with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    The "NotMarkMiller" person who posts on Buckyville is obviously not me. Odd that somebody would use that as a name to post with.
    That just means you are big time Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    Big East 7, Big Ten 5
    Seton Hall over Rutgers
    Villanova over Michigan
    Villanova over Illinois
    Butler over Northwestern
    Georgetown over Indiana
    St. John's over Minnesota
    Creighton over Nebraska
    Ohio State over MU
    Michigan State over MU
    Wisconsin over MU
    Wisconsin over Georgetown
    Indiana over Butler

Big East 7, ACC 1
    Villanova over Syracuse
    Butler over North Carolina
    Providence over Florida State
    Providence over Notre Dame
    Providnece over Miami
    Marquette over Georgia Tech
    St. John's over Syracuse
    Boston College over Providence

Big East 2, Pac 12 2
    De Paul over Stanford
    Marquette over Arizona State
    Oregon State over De Paul
    Colorado over De Paul

SEC 5, Big East 4
    Xavier over Alabama
    Xavier over Missouri
    Georgetown over Florida
    Marquette over Tennessee
    Mississippi over Creighton
    Auburn over Xavier
    Kentucky over Providence
    Tennessee over Butler
    Georgia over Seton Hall

Big 12 2, Big East 1
    Creighton over Oklahoma
    Oklahoma over Butler
    Kansas over Georgetown

TOTAL -- Big East 21, So-Called Power Five 15
    Thanks for putting this together Mark. For those talking about March, I agree, but you can't put the "cart before the horse." The Big East doing very well in non-conference sets up the opportunity to possibly have 6 or 7 teams have a shot at winning in March. Last year during conference play, whenever they would show a Big East team's resume, they always talked about how the lack of key non-conference wins would hurt a team. That should not happen this year, which is why those non-conference wins were big.

I think it is harder today to become a name brand than it was 30-40 years ago. I honestly think Villanova is the closest right now with their sustained success but they need to start winning in the tournament... Non conference is great, but March is when legacies are made. Look at UCONN, two of their titles came in years where they weren't even a ranked team, but yet now they are being viewed as a top tier program in basketball.

At the end of the day the Big East will have to continue to struggle for national recognition until they get that powerhouse program or they go back to ESPN... Otherwise the major player in the media is dead set on bashing them and diminishing their status. we are as good as they come when it comes to depth, but our top is no where near as strong on a year to year basis and that holds is back from being great.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

I'm too lazy to look it up but I believe I heard a stat a little while ago that said in it's last ten NCAA appearances, Nova has lost to the eventual national champ 5 times - kind of interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    If what I said is "all bull$****" than staying on point, please explain to me who the marquee teams are at the top of the Big East who regularly compete for final fours?

Big Ten: MSU
    Big 12: KU
    SEC: UK, Fl
    ACC: Duke, NC, Louisville, Cuse
    PAC: AZ
    Big East: ?

I understand there may be that perception, but look at the last 8 years:

Georgetown: Final 4 in 2007
    Villanova: Final 4 in 2009
    Butler: National Championship game in 2010 and 2011
    Marquette: Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8 in 2011, 2012, 2013

Big Ten has not won a championship since 2000, and they hang their hat on Michigan State and Ohio State to a lesser extent. Wisconsin's first Final 4 under Bo Ryan, yet they have never finished lower than 4th in conference. ACC is not the best conference, but I agree that right now they would get my vote for having 4 teams with the best potential to go far in March year-in and year-out (Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville). However, that still does not mean the conference is great. This is only the 2nd year of the reconfigured Big East, and the wins and RPI numbers speak for themselves. BTW, I am interested to see how Duke, Syracuse, Louisville all do when Coach K, Boeheim and Pitino are no longer there. Hard to replace a Hall-of-Fame coach.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 01-06-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    There really weren't any true marquee teams. Providence, Syracuse, and Georgetown were all well regarded, but it isn't like they were regularly battling Marquette, UCLA, UNC, and other truly top tier schools for titles. They were pretty regular in the tourney and had chances to go to the Final Four if things broke right, but they weren't really any more potent than Villanova is.

Georgetown became a beast in short order. Within 5 years they were a premier program, but while they got there in the 1980s they were not there in the 1970s before the founding of the Big East.

Great point. I think you have to give the reconfigured conference 4 to 5 years before analyzing the success of the 10-team Big East. Let the synergy with Fox Sports play out and new coaches go through a 4-year recruiting cycle marketing a "basketball only" conference. The good thing is that I sense a real partnership among the 10 teams in the Big East. All pull for each other in non-conference then want to kill each other come conference time. That, and Fox Sports doing a good job promoting the conference. I think the New Year's Eve Marathon was a great idea, the Inside the Big East show and advertising the Big East on NFL Sundays.
    Last edited by mufan2003; 01-06-2015 at 12:41 PM.

The Big East's emergence almost perfectly coincided with the emergence of ESPN too. I'm not sure that scenario can be perfectly duplicated again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast