Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
Honest question:

In the old Big East, and I mean when the conference first started, who were considered the marquee teams?

As long as the conference stays strong, I believe one can emerge. I believe competitions breeds winners. If our conference stays strong, order to compete in our conference, you have to stay on top of things. You have to recruit well. You have to hire the best coaches. With all of that, an elite team should emerge. Louisville probably wasn't considered a top tier team, and now everybody knows them. The same could be said about UConn. Heck, Michigan State probably rose to that level. Hopefully we can be that team.
I agree one can emerge. Stable and identifiable winning coaches helps.

Initially, way back, I think it was Georgetown (Thompson), St. John's (Carneseca) and Villanova (Massimino). St John's didn't win a national title like Villanova and Georgetown, but Carneseca had some top teams, and all had top players. ESPN helped with providing national exposure.

In the MU era of the Big East I think it was UConn (Calhoun), Syracuse (Boheim), Louisville (Pitino) and to a lesser extent Georgetown.
UConn with 4 titles since 1999, Syracuse and Louisville both won a title. Numerous NCAA trips.

Right now in the conference it looks like Villanova and Jay Wright have a chance to be that program, and the Thompson legacy with JT3 helps Georgetown.
Hopefully Wojo stays and can build MU into that nationally recognized top level team.