Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire purnell

Fire purnell

Anybody else watching this game vs. Oregon St? I'm embarrased for our league. Absolutely no fight, horrible (non-existent) defense. Lousy shot selection. Does nobody in administration give a damn? So poorly coached it isn't funny.

Just wait until after Dec 31

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Anybody else watching this game vs. Oregon St? I'm embarrased for our league. Absolutely no fight, horrible (non-existent) defense. Lousy shot selection. Does nobody in administration give a damn? So poorly coached it isn't funny.
    I wonder if gagging that game away against Illinois State totally deflated their season. They had one pretty good win and one questionable loss before that, and looked at least like a .500ish overall team on the whole (and that is granting a 4-5 win type Big East season). They let this ISU game throw them into a tailspin and could be the road straight to 0-18 in league play.

Last year, you had eight teams at 8-10 or better in the Big 12, one at 6-12, at one at 0-18. That earned the league seven tourney bids, and a West Virginia near miss. I could easily envision a similar scenario unfolding with the Big East, and well that potential 0-18 team is located in Chicago. I had thought that Marquette may be the 6-12 team, but now wonder if we could be the West Virginia group that got better as the year went along and made a strong run for a tourney bid (and hope to find a way to win 1-2 games in the conference tourney that West Virginia never did to get in).
    #BringShakaHome

Wayne Tinkle can coach. Not sure if he is going to be able to recruit well enough at Oregon State but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    They need to start with the AD, who is arguably the worst in the BE. Amazing how long she has survived while the program has been abysmal.

Kevin O'Neill was on the call last night, one point in the game was pretty humorous:

KO: "If I were coaching, I'd be dismembering people right now."
    Play by play guy: "Your staff would be running things by this point."

Quote Originally Posted by 79warrior View Post
    They need to start with the AD, who is arguably the worst in the BE. Amazing how long she has survived while the program has been abysmal.
    It is so bad, and has been for soooo long, that it would not be unreasonable to think the AD is an Illinois or Northwestern fan. I say that jokingly, but the coaching hires have been as lame as it gets. We have heard stories that people have given advice to hire a young, energetic, up-and-coming coach but DePaul has resisted.

A couple months back when we were beating up on DePaul, myself included, Warrior O'Malley provided insight than it is not so much the AD and coach but more so the administration that deserves most, not all, of blame for the big picture problems in the men's program. Their focus, at least for now, seems elsewhere. If WOM is on the board maybe he can expound again.

I will repost from another three

I agree that is where she should put her time and effort into and be judged by, unless as is the case here her bosses do not provide the assets needed to do that job. The administration knows they are not allowing her to be successful in that area and for whatever reason they are ok with that decision. Depaul does not need basketball as a marketing tool, they are the largest Catholic university in the country, they are quite content being very well regarded and very well connected in the Chicago area. Where MU has always had an outsiders view from the Milwaukee powers and has been subjected to UW alums being in control of the city that is not the case for Depaul. U of I is just another university in Chicago not as well connected as Depaul alums or at best on equal terms, all this is to say that basketball is no where near as important to Depaul as it is to MU, and Depaul Administrations will not pay the dollars needed to be good and they know that and understand that they are sacrificing Jean to that extent.

The problems at Depaul go way above the AD the calls for her ouster are misguided she has done an excellent job with all the athletic teams minus men's bball. I know that is the top team at the university but it takes extraordinary funds to be successful and the administration will not provide them. Many have said that Depaul should hire an up and coming asst. coach, well they did that they hired Leito he was building a successful program he was approached and when Depaul had a chance to step up and pay him the administration said no to the price tag. Jean then went the way of hiring an older guy with Chicago ties from a mid level team to build and stay but that hasn't worked. Until the administration decides that they will get a young coach and pay to keep him there really is nothing that Jean will be able to do to build a successful program. She has proven she knows how to build successful programs as her other teams prove, but without the resources men's basketball won't be one of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast