Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get Derrick Out Of The Game

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    This is pretty much what I have been preaching since last year.
    Unfortunately, it does not make him a good alternative in many circumstances. And, its an alternative that has not led to wins against quality teams. At some point, maybe after Luke arrives, perhaps the alternative minutes start to be meted out with an eye to the future. In the end, this is Div I basketball and winning ultimately is important. If a team is not going to win, perhaps building for the future makes sense. How many feel good moral victories can a team have...? I'm not suggesting slashing his minutes, but rather using him more selectively as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Unfortunately, it does not make him a good alternative in many circumstances. And, its an alternative that has not led to wins against quality teams. At some point, maybe after Luke arrives, perhaps the alternative minutes start to be meted out with an eye to the future. In the end, this is Div I basketball and winning ultimately is important. If a team is not going to win, perhaps building for the future makes sense. How many feel good moral victories can a team have...? I'm not suggesting slashing his minutes, but rather using him more selectively as the season progresses.
    I don't think you build for the future by giving minutes to guys who don't deserve them. They should earn their way onto the court in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    I disagree with this analysis.

I have liked DW's ability to get to the hoop this year. He has impressed me with his ability to finish. Against UW, he was going against Kaminsky and Hayes. Tough to beat them. The reason he had to beat them is the drop off was not there, nor was the big's ability to create space for him.

That is what I hope we start to see with Luke in the middle. A place to drop the ball off if the big shadows over or the sealing the lane, ala Chris the past two years.

DWill has played, for the most part, fine in my eyes. I was critical of him last year, but I like how Wojo is using him this year. He looks better on his drives. Still can't shoot a lick outside of 5 feet, but he will have three options now when he drives - shoot, kick it out or drop it down.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I disagree with this analysis.

I have liked DW's ability to get to the hoop this year. He has impressed me with his ability to finish. Against UW, he was going against Kaminsky and Hayes. Tough to beat them. The reason he had to beat them is the drop off was not there, nor was the big's ability to create space for him.

That is what I hope we start to see with Luke in the middle. A place to drop the ball off if the big shadows over or the sealing the lane, ala Chris the past two years.

DWill has played, for the most part, fine in my eyes. I was critical of him last year, but I like how Wojo is using him this year. He looks better on his drives. Still can't shoot a lick outside of 5 feet, but he will have three options now when he drives - shoot, kick it out or drop it down.
    I would make that George Thompson's famous "no footer". And he still can't hit FTs. And he still is a bad option with the ball as the clock winds down. Again, I'm not proposing that Wojo slash his minutes. Rather be more selective in meting out floor time as the game dictates. Missing one-and-one FTs and taking a poor shot with the shot clock going down or dribbling East-West aimlessly for a long time are equivalent to TOs in my mind. As for the drop offs to a big man, he had many opportunities to do that last year but really did not. Hopefully, he can do it when Luke arrives next week. Hopefully, you are correct and I'm wrong.... We shall see.

I think this thread on Dodds board from the week before last is a good read with special emphasis on hoops1212 analysis in response to Dodds initial post. Not surprisingly, I agree with hoops1212.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415&f...t=13418775&p=1

Derrick is not a very good zone defender. He is much better at MM. His lack of length and lack of lateral quickness Makes him look late on close outs and Makes for pretty easy passing lanes. That said I thought he has looked better this year then I expected. On a team Like MU Last year and this, that is going to have to win close games I look for guys that have a Games that puts in the W column Vs teams that are solid. Carlino and Duanne have both had one. I have generally felt that Derrick is a guy that helps you lose a game by 5-10 but not get blown out. If you think about his best games have they translated into wins?

Not to hijack this thread, as that never happens here, but the link to dodds site had me wondering. With Luke back, who will be the biggest beneficiary? What will the starting line up be down the road? Line up you most want?

I think Duane Wilson and Carlino will benefit the most. I think the starting line up will be:

PG Derrick Wilson
    SC Carlino
    WF Anderson
    PF Taylor
    C Fischer

The line up I will like to the best may be:

PG Carlino
    SG Duane Wilson
    WF Anderson
    PF Burton
    C Fischer

Burton, though, has to step it up with both intensity and decision making. That could have the most potential offensively and could be fun to watch.

Not to hijack this thread, as that never happens here, but the link to dodds site had me wondering. With Luke back, who will be the biggest beneficiary? What will the starting line up be down the road? Line up you most want?

I think Duane Wilson and Carlino will benefit the most. I think the starting line up will be:

PG Derrick Wilson
    SC Carlino
    WF Anderson
    PF Taylor
    C Fischer

PG Carlino
    SG Duane Wilson
    WF Anderson
    PF Burton
    C Fischer

Burton, though, has to step it up with both intensity and decision making. That could have the most potential offensively and could be fun to watch.
    And rebounding. I am very perplexed by Deonte's lack of aggressiveness on the boards.

PG Derrick Wilson
    SC Carlino
    WF Anderson
    PF Taylor
    C Fischer

PG Carlino
    SG Duane Wilson
    WF Anderson
    PF Burton
    C Fischer

Suspect we will see mostly 3 guard lineups with Luke, Juan, Steve and Deonte splitting the minutes in the frontcourt. May have a more traditional lineup depending upon matchups with the opponent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12