Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Derrick Out Of The Game

Get Derrick Out Of The Game

Carlino and Duane are handling the top of the zone extremely well. Derrick adds nothing on defense. He is too short to get defensive rebounds. get someone in who can grab a frickin' rebound.

He is doing nothing on offense. We are playing four on five. Get Burton or JJJ in to add another scoring threat and hopefully some better rebounding.

Get Jujuan out of there. First he takes a will shot. Then he digs down on the post on the strong side. No reason to do that. He gives up an open 3. Then he gets caught ball watching, loses his guy in the corner and gives up an easy baseline drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Get Jujuan out of there. First he takes a will shot. Then he digs down on the post on the strong side. No reason to do that. He gives up an open 3. Then he gets caught ball watching, loses his guy in the corner and gives up an easy baseline drive.
    No kidding. For a Top 40 recruit, JJJ has been a bust so far.

The reason Derrick plays so many minutes is because there are no alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    The reason Derrick plays so many minutes is because there are no alternatives.
    Well, there are. Just not as appealing to Wojo. Derrick is playing off the ball quite a bit now, so there are opportunities for the others but they are not up to it yet. Still wonder if Dawson could play some in that role.

Derrick is assignment sure on defense. That's what Wojo wants. He may not be athletic, but he does calm the team down. He controls the game better than others do.

As for JJJ, stay patient on him. He's talented and has a good body frame. He just needs to learn more. I think last year was a wasted year on so many guys. Look at a guy like Burton. He's talented, but his bball IQ isn't there yet. He'll get there. My MVP so far is Juan Anderson. He does everything that no one else wants to do. Thank goodness for that guy.

Derrick is able to play down low in the 2-3, I don't know who else beside Steve and Juan could.

I view derrick as a liability playing down low on the zone. He is simply too short to get defensive rebounds.

The problem is neither Deonte nor JJJ has shown any ability to rebound either. Both should get more rebounds than they do.

Which leads to the conclusion that Derrick plays because there isn't a better alternative. He's not ideal down low in the 2-3, but he's better than everyone but Steve and Juan.

Quote Originally Posted by mutpm View Post
    Which leads to the conclusion that Derrick plays because there isn't a better alternative. He's not ideal down low in the 2-3, but he's better than everyone but Steve and Juan.

This is pretty much what I have been preaching since last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast