Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
Better than the '85 B.E. w/ 3 of 4 in the FF and 'Nova beats G-Town in the final?
Those are definitely the two that stick out for me. 1985 was the best tournament any conference ever had. Three teams in the Final 4 and both finalists is ridiculous. But while it's just one team difference, I can't look past that 1991 season, not just because they placed 78% of the league in the tournament, but because Providence had a really good case to make it 8 of 9 teams, which seems unfathomable. They had 8 wins over NCAA Tournament teams. What killed them was 3 points in 2 road games. They lost by 2 at Boston College (BC's only Big East win that season) and lost by 1 at Holy Cross. Win those two games and the Friars would have made it 8/9.

But yeah...the 1985 Big East was also ridiculous. Getting 3 teams to one Final Four is amazing, something I always hoped the Big East would do when it was the super-league we came into last decade. Unfortunately, we never had a tournament run that was on par with the league in its early heyday.