Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Villanova in trouble

Nova has struggled so far.....hard to say if they are overrated or just haven't jelled yet.

Bucknell did get blasted at Michigan by 24......

I only caught sporadic bits of the game. Watched the first half when 'Nova was flat out dominant. Looked great on both ends. Suddenly I come back in the second half to see Bucknell tie it up, was rather shocked to see that. Frankly, I felt the Wildcats were just getting out-toughed. Bucknell was able to control the boards and their one kid just went off. Villanova also had a cold shooting night. The last minute went pretty much perfectly, otherwise they probably would have lost.

One problem with 'Nova, they don't really seem to know who they want to take the shot in critical situations. On one possession, they passed up maybe 3-4 really good shot attempts to give it to someone else. Very tentative when all they needed was for someone to take the reins. You'd think with Hilliard, Pinkston, and Arcidiacono all back someone would want to take that big shot, but so far they don't seem to have figured out who that guy is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    It's a win for Villanova!

Now, Martin's Cal Bears lead Syracuse at MSG by 11. Everyday is a good day when the Orange can lose.
    Orange down 18 with 3:24 to play. California is just faster than Syracuse. This does not look like what I expect a Boeheim team to look like...and as soon as I say that the zone extends out, forces two quick turnovers, and looks just like what I expect. Cal still has this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I only caught sporadic bits of the game. Watched the first half when 'Nova was flat out dominant. Looked great on both ends. Suddenly I come back in the second half to see Bucknell tie it up, was rather shocked to see that. Frankly, I felt the Wildcats were just getting out-toughed. Bucknell was able to control the boards and their one kid just went off. Villanova also had a cold shooting night. The last minute went pretty much perfectly, otherwise they probably would have lost.

One problem with 'Nova, they don't really seem to know who they want to take the shot in critical situations. On one possession, they passed up maybe 3-4 really good shot attempts to give it to someone else. Very tentative when all they needed was for someone to take the reins. You'd think with Hilliard, Pinkston, and Arcidiacono all back someone would want to take that big shot, but so far they don't seem to have figured out who that guy is going to be.
    James Bell was that big shot taker and maker for them last year, but I figured that one of those aforementioned guys would step into that role this year. It may end up being Dylan Ennis, who has never been afraid to let it fly when I have watched Nova games.
    #BringShakaHome

Bell was definitely the guy that led that, but when you had three guys that scored 14 ppg (Bell one of those three) I figured it'd be easy for the others to step into that role. Maybe it will come in time, but it's surprising to me that Hilliard wasn't there yet, and even more surprising that Arcidiacono (who seems to have that kind of personality) isn't trying to jump into that void. I definitely think they really miss Bell a lot more than I thought they would.

Watching tonight I definitely feel that 'Nova's biggest problem in this game was themselves. On the boards they were getting outworked and on defense no one could stop Bucknell's main scorer. And on the attack they just didn't seem well-enough organized. They did well with the fast-break, and early on when they were asserting themselves physically they were able to control both ends. Bucknell's comeback totally took the wind out of their sails. Talent-wise they are still probably the cream of the crop in this league, but until they figure out who is going to lead them, they won't reach their potential. I'm curious to see how they do against VCU. If they play like they did tonight, the Rams will run them off the court.

Bell was definitely the guy that led that, but when you had three guys that scored 14 ppg (Bell one of those three) I figured it'd be easy for the others to step into that role. Maybe it will come in time, but it's surprising to me that Hilliard wasn't there yet, and even more surprising that Arcidiacono (who seems to have that kind of personality) isn't trying to jump into that void. I definitely think they really miss Bell a lot more than I thought they would.

Watching tonight I definitely feel that 'Nova's biggest problem in this game was themselves. On the boards they were getting outworked and on defense no one could stop Bucknell's main scorer. And on the attack they just didn't seem well-enough organized. They did well with the fast-break, and early on when they were asserting themselves physically they were able to control both ends. Bucknell's comeback totally took the wind out of their sails. Talent-wise they are still probably the cream of the crop in this league, but until they figure out who is going to lead them, they won't reach their potential. I'm curious to see how they do against VCU. If they play like they did tonight, the Rams will run them off the court.
    I have only seen part of Nova's game against UMES, and I could probably get a team of Rec Center all-stars that could give UMES a good game. However, it seems like Nova has not played with the same effort and intensity that led to their resurgent season last year. I figured that with a similar returning cast, Nova was back as the scrappy program with enough talent to beat anyone (and often win games simply based off of their defensive intensity and overall great effort). They have always been a bit too reliant for my tastes on perimeter jumpers, but I have accepted that because of the aforementioned other positive traits. However, if they are both jump shot happy and a bit content to ride on their laurels, then it could be a disappointing campaign on the Main Line. I hope that they get it together before Monday, as I will cheer heartily for any Big East team to whoop Shaka's ass. However, Nova may just need a humbling reminder to re-ignite that fire that drove them last season (even if I hate that it would come from the reneger's group).
    #BringShakaHome

Wasn't it Bucknell that gave MU a fight a couple years ago in game 2 of the season.
    That was Gardner's breakout game if you can call it that in game 2. He single-handedly won that game for us.
    "Your greatness will silence them all." - The Ultimate Warrior

Jay Wright said they are too overconfident in taking shots. Guys are taking harder shots with a defender in their face, not moving the ball to find the best shot. Announcer said Villanova is dealing with being the hunted this year and not the hunter...seeing MU, Georgetown and Creighton I believe were picked to finish Top 3 last year in conference.

I caught the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half, I have seen Villanova play much, much better with basically the same personnel. I think the close game was a result of an overly confident Villanova team that played a bit lazy and undisciplined. VCU is #15 in the nation right now and picked to win the A-10 I believe, big game for Villanova and Big East on Monday.

Wasn't it Bucknell that gave MU a fight a couple years ago in game 2 of the season.
    Also, Bucknell has Mike Muscala in the NBA, on the Atlanta Hawks. They are a good mid-major program.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Also, Bucknell has Mike Muscala in the NBA, on the Atlanta Hawks. They are a good mid-major program.
    Agreed. Bucknell is no slouch when it comes to a buy game, similar to Xavier's tilt with Stephen F Austin tonight. Even still, that's a game Villanova should win fairly comfortably. The margin itself wasn't so much the problem, more that they were trailing with less than 2 minutes in the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12