Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick thoughts ...

That's a good option too. It looks like we are going to be heavy on the 3's this year. Good or bad, that gives us a punchers chance against better teams. With an average defense that could help us steal a big game. Probably will cost us a game we should win too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Avoid a major slip, go 9-3 in the non-conference, then any winning Big East record will at least have us on the bubble.
    As I been saying, all depends on what the other Big East schools do in the non-conference, to what the league wins will really mean.
    March Madness starts in November

Michigan State maybe, but my hope is more that we beat Georgia Tech, Arizona State, and whomever we play third in Orlando, likely Santa Clara or Tennessee. Avoid a major slip, go 9-3 in the non-conference, then any winning Big East record will at least have us on the bubble. Probably need to sweep Creighton and Butler, then go 6-8 against the rest of the league. Not impossible.
    Michigan State? We need to get by Georgia Tech first and that's not going to easy. Saw their opener and they have some experienced bigs in Mitchell, Cox and Stephens and a veteran back court. The also have 6-11 Ben Lammers who was recruited by Buzz. Lammers never got off the bench.?

Michigan State maybe, but my hope is more that we beat Georgia Tech, Arizona State, and whomever we play third in Orlando, likely Santa Clara or Tennessee. Avoid a major slip, go 9-3 in the non-conference, then any winning Big East record will at least have us on the bubble. Probably need to sweep Creighton and Butler, then go 6-8 against the rest of the league. Not impossible.
    Michigan State? We need to get by Georgia Tech first and that's not going to easy. Saw their opener and they have some experienced bigs in Mitchell, Cox and Stephens and a veteran back court. The also have 6-11 Ben Lammers who was recruited by Buzz. Lammers never got off the bench.?

That was my point. Michigan State and Wisconsin aren't the teams we need to beat. Georgia Tech and Arizona State are.

That was my point. Michigan State and Wisconsin aren't the teams we need to beat. Georgia Tech and Arizona State are.
    A key for Arizona State is that Fischer will be available (I think Wisconsin is the last game he sits).

I also think a big game for us is the first Conference game of the year, at DePaul.
    If we can win this road game, it does give us a chance to sweep DePaul. We should then have a chance to do the same with Creighton and Butler.
    Sure we can lose to anyone just as easy, but to be .500 or better in conference, we will need to sweep a couple teams and that starts with DePaul.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    Lammers played 5 minutes with a bucket and a rebound. GT is going to be a tough game for out guys.

Butler has played pretty well so far....I think they are going to be improved

People keep mentioning sweeping Creighton. I saw their fantastic comeback against a strong Oklahoma (#18) team. Right now Creighton looks better than we do, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRev View Post
    People keep mentioning sweeping Creighton. I saw their fantastic comeback against a strong Oklahoma (#18) team. Right now Creighton looks better than we do, in my opinion.
    Considering what Creighton lost, they really looked like they would be down around the bottom of the league, along with DePaul and Butler. So far, both the Jays and Bulldogs look better than many may have expected. That doesn't change that for Marquette to have a chance at the NCAAs, they probably need to sweep 2-3 of the teams in the league. If they go 9-3 in non-conference and 11-7 in league play that should be enough almost regardless of the rest of the league. 8-1 at home (assuming a loss to 'Nova) and minimum 2, more likely 3 road wins.

I'll be honest, I'm really not sure what to expect. I am not planning my March around where Marquette may or may not be playing. This team could end up 13-18, they could end up 26-7. I honestly don't have any idea. All I'm saying is if they want to be on the bubble (especially on the right side of it) it will probably take 19-21 wins, and that will probably take sweeping 2-3 teams. DePaul seems like an obvious name, Creighton, Butler, Seton Hall, and St. John's seem like the other best chances for that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123