Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NCAA coming to Milwaukee

The only reason they can't move to any city they want is because Kohl put it in the agreement, but if the owners went to the NBA and said look, if the stadium isn't built you take owner ship. We tried, they won't do it, instead of taking ownership let us keep the team and move it.....the NBA will allow.

I never said the city should pay for 100%, I don't believe in that, but other cities have done it.

They don't need a vote, as stated above, there are other ways.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    The only reason they can't move to any city they want is because Kohl put it in the agreement, but if the owners went to the NBA and said look, if the stadium isn't built you take owner ship. We tried, they won't do it, instead of taking ownership let us keep the team and move it.....the NBA will allow.

I never said the city should pay for 100%, I don't believe in that, but other cities have done it.

They don't need a vote, as stated above, there are other ways.
    Both the Jock Tax and the TIF have flaws, but regardless, a vote of some sort would be required...right?

Quote Originally Posted by GOMU1104 View Post
    Well, no, they cant just up and move to any city they want.

Either way...so you're OK with owners of professional sports teams holding cities/counties/states hostage and forcing them to build them $500 million facilities all on taxpayer money? That's ridiculous.

Again, as I said initially, Milwaukee is lucky in that they already have significant investments from Kohl and the new ownership group. Hopefully they can land a naming rights deal to add on top of that. If they don't, are you confident in a vote passing to approve public financing?
    For the most part, depending on lease agreements, etc, teams can move to any city they want. See Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Ravens, Seattle Supersonics to OKC, Raiders from Oakland to LA back to Oakland, etc.

I don't know of any stadium where the city / state was expected to pay the full $500 million. The Packers have spent $500 million over the last 10 years, but that was a combination of tax money and team money.

I am pretty confident that Walker will allow a shifting of Bucks related income tax proceeds to cover a $150 million bond to help with new facility related costs. Crazy to give taxpayer money to a number of businesses that don't generate the tax revenue the Bucks / arena do, and then not do the same for Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I don't know of any stadium where the city / state was expected to pay the full $500 million. The Packers have spent $500 million over the last 10 years, but that was a combination of tax money and team money.

Miami Marlins

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234