Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any news on Vander and Jamil...?

Any news on Vander and Jamil...?

Both were cut earlier this month. Any news on where they might be headed? Really don't think the D-League provides real opportunity or $$$ for either.

I think Jamil is going to be with the Phoenix Suns D-league affiliate….not sure about Vander

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    I think Jamil is going to be with the Phoenix Suns D-league affiliate….not sure about Vander
    Not related to the two mentioned above...but I did see Trent Lockett and Darius Johnson-Odom decided not to play the D-league this year and chose contracts overseas.

Trent is playing in Germany and Darius is playing in Italy.

I'm beginning to think that all MU basketball players should have to take four years of a language, whether Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, whatever, so that when those who don't end up in the NBA play overseas, they can choose a team in a country where they are fluent or close to fluent.

I don't know how serious you are, Phantom, but we're rethinking the Core curriculum at MU and this actually makes sense to me. Not sure how enthusiastic our players might be for it.

I was/am very serious.

It has to be hard not knowing the language. A kid knows French, he has a few options in Europe. He knows Spanish, he has options in Europe and South America. He knows German, he has quite a few options in Europe.

Has the foreign language requirement been dropped? I had to take two years way back when. Then again, knowledge of English is becoming more rare. Perhaps skills in that language could be emphasized....

VS

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRev View Post
    I don't know how serious you are, Phantom, but we're rethinking the Core curriculum at MU and this actually makes sense to me. Not sure how enthusiastic our players might be for it.
    Interested to learn what becomes of this. I always thought the core curriculum was something that made MU special...I know it has its detractors.

PS -- good advice by Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I'm beginning to think that all MU basketball players should have to take four years of a language, whether Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, whatever, so that when those who don't end up in the NBA play overseas, they can choose a team in a country where they are fluent or close to fluent.
    You could say that about every college basketball player. MU isn't the only school that sends players overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFLA View Post
    I always thought the core curriculum was something that made MU special...I know it has its detractors.
    Not to take the thread too far off topic, but I agree. I hope that any changes will be more refining it than overhauling it. I am far better for having to take those core classes outside of my comfort area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast