Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Unis

I didn't think about it that way. Not a terrible idea, all things considered.

Yeah. Very good point. If you look at some of the non-classic looking styles out there you get very specific looks. Marquette is a good example, they use a modern throwback crossover that is uniquely theirs. Tennesse has the checker patter that is uniquely theirs. Maryland in recent years has started to use stylingd from the state flag and it is uniquely theirs. We don't all have to be oregon trying to reinvent the wheel year after year. We should find something unique make it ours and then just come up with vatiations of that unique style when we do decide to change it up.
    School of Architecture - Class of 2016
    "Dressed in the Panther's skin, the Ass spread terror far and wide" #FireBraun

I'd love to claim the Bavarian's "Lozengy" pattern as our own.

Had to google "lozengy" and I say HELL YES. That whole brand identity kick that you are always on? This would help big time there!!

The problem with the lozengy is that while we were changing athletic directors more than most Cudahy residents take showers and not giving a crap about branding, THIS happened:

Lozengy is a pattern used in horse racing.

Right, and I get that's why Murray State is using it. The problem is that we can no longer "own" the pattern in the college sports world.

It's similar to how Kentucky started using a checkerboard because Secretariat won the Kentucky Derby wearing a blue and white checkerboard... all very valid, very locally relevant reasons for them to use it. But it still hasn't stopped them from being accused of ripping off the hated Vols, who've had checkerboards in their end zones and baselines for years.

if we decided to do it i think we would have no problem making it ours before the country realizes Murray State is already doing it. And its not like they are doing it for everything. Plus black and gold standa out more, and it radiates a different energy and feel than theirs ao it might not even be thought of as a rip off. Ours would feel bavarian and give a soccer/european vibe while theirs gives a horse racing, upper echelon, sunday brunch with the family at the country club feel. Lol.

That's the other thing about using a lozengy... it really only works for soccer, where Milwaukee has a long-standing German soccer link (Bavarians, which has sent many players to UWM). Perhaps if soccer became THAT popular on campus, to where the lozengy could transcend the rest of our sports (similar to how Tennessee's checkerboard was originally just a football thing) but I think it has its limitations as far as something that would work for basketball or baseball.

I could be wrong though, and I'm all for the soccer teams rockin' a black and gold lozengy!

Not sure what it is worth but i emailed Leah jokingly that she should pass the idea on to adidas and she said she might just do that, so there is that. Lol. gave you credit too nic so if they ise it you are welcome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast