Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arena Situation

How would it work with season ticket holders? Isnt it big enough in the space between the BMOHBC and the Park East corridor to build a new arena?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...281198081.html

If this is true, then I hope that the university makes a stand here. They have to make a stand and flatly say, "If you force us out of our arena so you can build yours, then you have to do one of two things: Either help pay (At least 20% or 30%) for our new arena, either a brand new one or a major overhaul of Klotsche, OR you're going to let us play in the new arena, not Marquette."

Well it sure didn't take long to expose the fiction that the JS site alone is big enough for the Billionaire Boys Club, did it?

A few random thoughts:

It always amazes me when people choose to risk years of litigation when there are far more reasonable alternatives available.

The JS's cheerleader role in this is reprehensible. Lucius Niemann would roll over in his grave to see what has happened to that organization. Its only interest is shareholder value.

Any thought that either the billionaires or the politicians are going to pony up for a separate arena for Milwaukee is extremely wishful thinking. The parties involved in this simply won't care unless they are made to care.

The Theater space isn't needed for this project. This is all about destroying the Arena.

Marquette would change its tune on all of this very quickly if political pressure was applied to demand that the new arena authority give first -- or at least equal -- preference to the city's public University in return for the hundreds of millions in public dollars that will be spent to enrich the billionaires. My guess is that the Bucks have no interest in accommodating three basketball teams.

There are two vacant city blocks IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the BC to the north. The political, litigation, demolition and construction costs of building there are immensely lower than the JS/Arena site. It's about an additional 90 second walk from Wisconsin Avenue. If you are walking slowly. As if anyone's walking from there anyway. Moreover, building on that site (which is not even underused -- it's UNused) would both create the opportunity for infill development to the south once the BC is demolished AND open up the neighborhood north of McKinley to redevelopment similar to the Third Ward. Brewer's Hill to the northeast is already established. This would be a tremendous opportunity for the City. Somebody needs to tell the billionaires that if they want public money running to the hundreds of millions (they do, oh my they do) that's where they're going to build -- and they're going to like it.

The bucks ownership have no place in this city and should have no part in deciding any of this. They obviously have no clue about milwaukee and dont care either. They can go **** themselves with the shovel they are using to dig this hole for themselves.
    School of Architecture - Class of 2016
    "Dressed in the Panther's skin, the Ass spread terror far and wide" #FireBraun

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Marquette would change its tune on all of this very quickly if political pressure was applied to demand that the new arena authority give first -- or at least equal -- preference to the city's public University in return for the hundreds of millions in public dollars that will be spent to enrich the billionaires. My guess is that the Bucks have no interest in accommodating three basketball teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrunner0097 View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...281198081.html
    If this is true, then I hope that the university makes a stand here. They have to make a stand and flatly say, "If you force us out of our arena so you can build yours, then you have to do one of two things: Either help pay (At least 20% or 30%) for our new arena, either a brand new one or a major overhaul of Klotsche, OR you're going to let us play in the new arena, not Marquette."

Why should UWM get priority times for a program that gets a quarter of the attendance that Marquette does? It's better for the new arena to give priority to those who draw the biggest crowds.

I'm just saying that the university needs to make their voice heard if they are going to have any say about this. If nothing else, "shout long enough and eventually somebody is going to see what all the fuss is about."

I just don't want to see UWM just roll over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrunner0097 View Post
    I'm just saying that the university needs to make their voice heard if they are going to have any say about this. If nothing else, "shout long enough and eventually somebody is going to see what all the fuss is about."

I just don't want to see UWM just roll over again.

Well I can't blame you (or UWM) for that. Clearly they deserve a reasonable alternative should the Arena be sacrificed as part of this process. But it shouldn't be at the expense of Marquette, which is by every measure a bigger and more popular basketball program. I'm sure President Lovell would agree since he is interested in building partnerships between the two schools.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I'm sure President Lovell would agree since he is interested in building partnerships between the two schools.
    I would like to think that will mean he will help going to bat for us.

Still, I'm not going to make any conclusions until the owners make it clear what they want to do. They're sending out a bunch of mixed signals, with nothing certain on what's going on.

Just because the Milwaukee Panthers don't average 15,000 doesn't mean we don't get a say. I don't think we're the ones with the last word, either. But this whole idea that UWM is irrelevant and the Bucks picked their space so we just have to live with it is ludicrous. There are many people, Bucks and Marquette fans included, who don't want to see their historical home

The line that David Uihlein gave about how the new Bucks stadium should go where the Arena is because that's their historical home is a joke. The sentiment is a wash when you're bulldozing that historical home to put up your new home.

I think a far more valid argument for the Bucks is that it puts them next door to Old World 3rd Street and the bar district - people want entertainment before and after events. But the fact of the matter is that this new stadium is EXACTLY how we fix the problem of the empty Park East corridor. That space is too big to be developed on its own without a stadium.

With a stadium, development around it would happen on its own. To make sure the best possible development happens, though, we need to blank out the tax code in the area for 5-10 years, including construction costs, for development surrounding the stadium. That allows the area around the stadium to be built up concurrently with the stadium, thus turning the Park East corridor into an immediate bustling environment - and much closer to the Schlitz Park business area than their proposed space.

Meanwhile, this post from September 27th looks all the more prophetic - Link: Journal Stands to Gain

This was a discussion on MUScoop a few weeks ago. There is a big reason why Park East is a poor site for something this big. It will increase costs tremendously due to bad soil.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?top...3578#msg653578

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast