Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Arena Situation

Unfortunately, that may mean that the JS building has a lot of environmental cleanup needed. If that is the case, and the new Bucks owners (who have billions) don't want to invest in it, that building must be worthless as it may very well cost more to clean up than it is worth.

Sure, good for the UWM fans that want to keep the Arena, but if the new facility is built on Wisconsin ave or Michigan ave, what happens to that area? I'd guess places like Buck Bradley's, Goolsby, etc could go under with no Bucks / Admirals / MU / concert / etc that the BC currently hosts. It would probably depend on if someone would want to develop the current Bradley Center site, and based on the Park East area, I doubt that very much.

From day one I want the new arena to be on 4th and Wisconsin. Those people still need to park and can eat at those places and take the seven minute walk.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Unfortunately, that may mean that the JS building has a lot of environmental cleanup needed. If that is the case, and the new Bucks owners (who have billions) don't want to invest in it, that building must be worthless as it may very well cost more to clean up than it is worth.

Sure, good for the UWM fans that want to keep the Arena, but if the new facility is built on Wisconsin ave or Michigan ave, what happens to that area? I'd guess places like Buck Bradley's, Goolsby, etc could go under with no Bucks / Admirals / MU / concert / etc that the BC currently hosts. It would probably depend on if someone would want to develop the current Bradley Center site, and based on the Park East area, I doubt that very much.
    It's a bar district. They're going to be fine. Goolsby's may want to relocate to the Grand Avenue's first floor if the Bucks get the arena there.

If 4th and Wisconsin doesn't happen, isn't the obvious answer to build the arena north of the Bradley Center, then develop all the land around it? It's not ideal - of course, I don't think the Journal/Arena/Theater was ideal either, and not just from my standpoint - but real estate developers could take that land and mold it exactly how they want it. I don't think that's a terrible idea. The City can help spur the development around the arena, and save the Bucks some money, by influencing the tax code in the blocks around the BC for development.

The Bucks arena could be a catalyst for all the real estate development around it. They could then flatten the Bradley Center and create some kind of pedestrian arena mall, perhaps with some kind of enclosure that goes right through the middle of the Arena/Theater and all the way to the convention center.

Being a little further from Wisconsin Avenue is a negative, sure. It's not so much a negative considering they'd be leaving a place immediately south. But they have no impediment around them. That "poor soil" line on the MU side of the board about the Park East corridor was a load of **** - I spent several hours trying to find evidence of that, and the only mention of the soil was that it was 'poor fill.' In other words, it's soil that you can't take and use for farming, etc. That's most urban soil.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the land the Bucks own north of the Bradley Center is not ideal but it's far from the terrible site everyone is claiming it is. The benefit to the city is great as well; we get the land around the arena developed in conjunction with the arena, so we could end up with a downtown growth area.

I think the reason the Bradley Center didn't spur a bunch of new development is because most of the space around it was already developed for other purposes. The Arena to the south, Turner Hall to the east, MATC to the west. I envision parking garages with full street level retail and restaurant space. They can build it so the "money shot" is the pedestrian mall leading up to the front, glass facade - not unlike the Staples Center.

Jimmy

The other thing about the site North of Bradley is wouldn't this be a boon to the Zilber Brewery complex? That could connect and make a very cool area and as long as they are at it connect the streetcar to that as well. Perplexed by the comment by City of Milwaukee developer that the site there is off the table? Why? Not like it is being overwhelmed with development opportunities. Lying fallow....and of course why demolish two beautifully maintained beloved historic buildings for a glass palace which will once again be obsolete in 15 years...just disgusting... Steve

The article in the Biz Journal says the site north of the BC is off the table.

Looking at Wisconsin Ave and the 2nd and Michigan site as alternates to the JS building.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910