Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Bach to retire

St Seb's is on Hawley/ N 54th st...

The old Notre Dame High School is now part of the huge St. Anthony's school system on the southside. It is indeed located next to St. Stan's Church.

Notre Dame played its home basketball games at the old Don Bosco gym a few miles away as the gym inside Notre Dame was too small.

Not sure where Notre Dame played when Don Kojis went there, I'm guessing in their tiny gym as Don Bosco was still open at that time and would have needed its gym for its own teams.

Actually Don Bosco was at Windlake and Becher (12th and Becher st) about 1 mi...great place for HS BB .. back in the day.. ;-)

One more from the past. I think it was St. Benedict's if memory serves. Had one of the best high school players in the Milwaukee area...ever. I think he may have even played some college hoops, maybe at Bradley, I'm not sure. Anyone remember Tom Campbell? (Pretty sure that was his name.) Where was St. Benedict? Was it somewhere around 12th and Vliet?

A little help from some of the other 60-somethings on the board.

Not in the 60-something crowd, but I did find some info on Tom Campbell.

Played 3 years of varsity basketball at St. Benedict.

Averaged a robust 25.2 ppg as a senior in 1962-63 to win the Catholic Conference scoring title. Had 39 in a game against St. John's Cathedral.

First-team all-league in 1962-63 while leading St. Benedict to an 11-5 league mark (Pius XI won the league at 14-2, followed by Marquette and St. Cat's at 13-3 and then St. Benedict. Of course, my high school -- Appleton Xavier -- won the WISAA title that year, beating Murf's MUHS team in the title game behind a guy named Rocky Bleier and a coach named Torchy Clark).

Campbell was a 6-foot-2 guard who did play college basketball at Bradley.

I believe St. Benedict High School was located next to St. Benedict Church, which is a few blocks west of the Bradley Center and still very much in operation.

John Johnson attended St. Benedict as a freshman and sophomore and then transferred to Messmer when St. Benedict closed in the spring of 1964.
    Last edited by Mark Miller; 09-12-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Where was St. Benedict? Was it somewhere around 12th and Vliet?
    St. Ben's on 10th and State? I believe that was the original location of MUHS, and the Franciscans bought it when MUHS moved to Wisconsin Ave. The high school was torn down when they built up I-43.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    First-team all-league in 1962-63 while leading St. Benedict to an 11-5 league mark (Pius XI won the league at 14-2, followed by Marquette and St. Cat's at 13-3 and then St. Benedict. Of course, my high school -- Appleton Xavier -- won the WISAA title that year, beating Murf's MUHS team in the title game behind a guy named Rocky Bleier and a coach named Torchy Clark).

Whoa whoa whoa...

Are you telling me that the self-proclaimed John Wooden of Wisconsin high school basketball *lost* a game???

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    Saw that game at the Arena in what was my junior year @ MUHS. That was quite a game, but Xavier just had superior talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Saw that game at the Arena in what was my junior year @ MUHS. That was quite a game, but Xavier just had superior talent.
    I was a senior at Madison Edgewood. We were also in the tournament as defending champions. Beat Pius with Mike Juerewicz (spelling?) and Bob Steber who I believe were regular season Milwaukee Catholic League champions. We played MUHS in the semis and sophomore Chuck Nagle bombed us into submission. That year Edgewood's star was Denny Sweeney who went on to play for the Badgers. We had a 44 game winning streak broken in a road game at Wisconsin Rapids Assumption in our last game before the tournament.

All the teams in that tournament were very good. Mike J. at Pius was a good enough athlete to beat Edgewood in the finals of the state baseball tourney that year and later pitch at the triple A level in the Yankees organization. BTW, I think the real gun for Xavier that year was Kip Whitlinger. Rocky Blier was a junior.

Quote Originally Posted by wiscwarrior View Post
    I was a senior at Madison Edgewood. We were also in the tournament as defending champions. Beat Pius with Mike Juerewicz (spelling?) and Bob Steber who I believe were regular season Milwaukee Catholic League champions. We played MUHS in the semis and sophomore Chuck Nagle bombed us into submission. That year Edgewood's star was Denny Sweeney who went on to play for the Badgers. We had a 44 game winning streak broken in a road game at Wisconsin Rapids Assumption in our last game before the tournament.

All the teams in that tournament were very good. Mike J. at Pius was a good enough athlete to beat Edgewood in the finals of the state baseball tourney that year and later pitch at the triple A level in the Yankees organization. BTW, I think the real gun for Xavier that year was Kip Whitlinger. Rocky Blier was a junior.
    Yep, Whitlinger was the real gun. Was going to post that, but the name escaped me. Wasn't He a star tennis player as well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast