Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Arena Article

Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    Barrett wants it on Wisconsin Ave. so then he doesn't have to pay for the utilities relo for his light rail plan which he just lost a ruling on. He wants to go east on new entertainment development, not north.
    And where on Wisconsin Avenue will it fit? Seriously, where will it go? Utilitity relocation could be a nightmare anywhere on Wisconsin Avenue and just purchasing property and construction costs could push this project well over $600 million if that was the location and that doesn't even take into account parking options.

The north location is easily the cheapest and most logical spot, but as we all know in politics, cheapest and most logical can be thrown out the window.
    Last edited by TedBaxter; 09-08-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    And where on Wisconsin Avenue will it fit? Seriously, where will it go? Utilitity relocation could be a nightmare anywhere on Wisconsin Avenue and just purchasing property and construction costs could push this project well over $600 million if that was the location and that doesn't even take into account parking options.

The north location is easily the cheapest and most logical spot, but as we all know in politics, cheapest and most logical can be thrown out the window.
    I would concur. Of coourse, Barrett is the guy championing the Streetcar to Nowhere at a ridiculous cost for a scant few users.

I thought I heard somewhere they floated out there tearing down Grand Ave Mall and putting it in that location? Would solve two problems for the city.

Not saying that is where it should go, but maybe that is what Barrett is thinking.

Regardless, this will get done. The local investors won't let it slip away.

The northern location would have probably been the spot had Kohls decided to move to that area.

Michigan Ave has a lot of options, which is likely where parking would be.
    There is some open spots on Wisc Ave depending one how far up you would want to go, but for a new basketball facility why not get rid of most if not all of grand ave? Doesn't the city own that? Between part of the mall and all the parking, etc behind it there may be enough space there, and it would also tie in with the convention center.

Irrespective of location, this really needs to get done to promote economic growth in Milwaukee. As Tulsa Warrior points out in a post on another board, there has been no public financing of a sports venue in Milwaukee since the early 1950s given that the BC was a gift from the Bradley family. With the $200 million from Kohl and the new owners along with naming rights and ticket fees and other private investment from the new part owners, the City is really looking at a true gift in terms of re-vitalizing the City's economy.

Let's not get into that again. The economic benefits of sports arenas are at best mixed with most studies showing that they are negligible. IMO Milwaukee's economic future will look pretty much the same regardless if a new arena is built.

The local 0.1% sales tax for Miller Park still irritates people. I think many people hear that they are taxed for a stadium and don't think of the positives or the relatively small amount they are paying. That is $1 for a $1,000 purchase. Yet I'd guess many didn't realize the state gave the BC $5 mil (the second $5 mil contribution in past few years), which amounts to close to $1 for ever resident of Wisconsin.

The state of Wisconsin gives tax breaks to corporations to move or expand operations all the time. Well if the normal course of business is to give tax breaks to corporations, why not here?

If taxpayers are ok with the Bucks and Brewers moving on as opposed to puting up public funds, then I'm sure they would be willing to forego the tax proceeds these businesses generate.

Have the state put of a $100 million bond for the stadium, and add to it whatever is due on Miller Park. Retire the sales tax (which would be a positive), and put all tax proceeds from the Brewers, Bucks and jock related taxes (player taxes) toward paying down the debt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Let's not get into that again. The economic benefits of sports arenas are at best mixed with most studies showing that they are negligible. IMO Milwaukee's economic future will look pretty much the same regardless if a new arena is built.
    Need to look at the flip side of the coin for the city. Without attractions the City loses "destination" status and the downtown area continues to denigrate. It can't just be a sports facility. Needs to have connectivity to the convention center, etc. The economic future will denigrate without this as more and more of Downtown just crumbles away. Less and less reason to go there.

I do think this makes a big difference for the downtown area. I won't go so far as to say it will revitalize the city, but if the Bucks leave, what is there to draw people to that part of the city? Marquette 16-18 times per year? The Admirals? The Museum? If the Bucks go, the BC isn't going to get the support it does now financially. It's a fine arena for our purposes, but when we are the chief tenant that could very well change. There will be less bar traffic as the lack of major sports will push people towards Water and Brady. Grand Avenue is already a second-tier mall at best. Take away the Bucks and I could easily see that area of the city withering. It's not exactly far from some of the higher crime areas of the city and there are no geographical boundaries.

What the Bucks do will only really affect the downtown part of the city, but they could make a very big difference. Give us a new arena that is able to draw not only sports fans but also concerts and conventions and there will be reasons to go downtown. New restaurants, shopping, and bars all tied into the arena will further enhance that. And having both District 1 and the Milwaukee Fire Department HQ within a block of each other on James Lovell gives the appearance of safety and security, even though what will really keep things safe would be a present public (Does anyone feel safe on MLK & Locust or 36th and Fond du Lac, where MPD also has District stations?).

With the passage of anti-residency legislation, the city has a huge fear of a "white flight", though the true fear is losing not just middle-class white city workers but losing their city workers in general (I know people of all different races ready to move out). The arena may be a small part of the equation, but it's an important one to give people a reason to be downtown. I think it would be a positive for that area, but even if it was a break-even, that would be better than what we would see if the Bucks left, which would be a minimum of 41 fewer reasons for people to spend their money downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    There are many things that go into the benefits of having pro sports teams, just like the benefits for MU having a basketball team.

Would the education level of MU change if we did not have a D1 team? Probably negligible. Would we see a drop in student population? Maybe a little, or at least the number of applications. Would MU get national exposure without hoops, probably not. So is MU still MU without a basketball team - no way in my opinion. Similar with cities and their pro sports teams.

Now, if the Bucks were to leave, and 5 years later the state decided maintaining the BC is more cost than it is worth and decided to remove it, what would happen to MU? Go back to playing at the arena?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast