Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Doc Rivers just signed a $50 million extension.

As for Wade. I read a few years back that he tithes. Does he still? Does any of that make its way into Marquette?

Holy crap. I knew I was missing someone. And of course it was the guy who is currently on Marquette's Board of Trustees.

And there's a guy who should be giving back. He is about at the right age, and obviously is a Trustee. Of course he could be without being real public about it.

Doc is up there in terms of career earning with his playing and coaching contracts. He has given back to the university in countless ways. The fact that Doc and DWade are forever linked to the school is invaluable. Doc's stature was elevated even more because of the way he handled the mess with the Clippers this past season. He went from an elite NBA coach to the leading spokesman for race relations in the league and country. DWade's legacy is still being written but with the hardware he already has his name recognition is lasting. Doc is a "sports statesman" and DWade still has several chapters to be written.

I could see Wes Matthews, Jimmy Butler, Steve Novak and several other Marquette/NBA types move into the Doc Rivers category.

There's a whole bunch of ways to help your former school besides direct dollars. It would be interesting to find out what kind of impact former players have had on recruiting over the years.

Without a doubt former players can help in a myriad of ways, just as former students can. Marquette regularly reminds alumni that financial giving is the most economical and efficient way to help those who followed us. The same holds true of former players. Most here would not expect them to be giving millions of dolalrs since most former players are not multimillionares. However, a concerted effort to concentrate their funds and benefit other students (or student-athletes) seems like a no-brainer idea, especially with someone as respected as Bo leading the charge. Heck, it might already be happening and we just don;t know about it, but if not, it should.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Donate? No.
    Believe Wesley is on board with B&G fund. Not in Jeff Green #'s, but is donating.

BTW add Roy Hibbert to the list; he's contributing $1 million

I believe most trustees give large amounts of money to Marquette, so as a trustee I think Doc Rivers has contributed large amounts and will continue to do so, but he's not going to make that public. Isn't that the best kind of gift anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRev View Post
    I believe most trustees give large amounts of money to Marquette, so as a trustee I think Doc Rivers has contributed large amounts and will continue to do so, but he's not going to make that public. Isn't that the best kind of gift anyway?
    Agree with you JohnnyRev. I'm pleased that the players have remained engaged with the program even during the turnover of regime from Crean to Buzz to Wojo. I'm sure most, if not all, give financially on some level. As Rutgers found out you need to tread carefully. Their AD (in one of her many faux pas) called out the Rutgers's alums, who had gone on to pro careers, for not giving more financial support. A number quickly pointed to not only their financial but active participatory support and were so offended they subsequently withdrew that support. Relationships matter and respect is the foundation of every strong relationship.

Also, I bet these guys don't regularly put up these kinds of donations to G'town, if MU were building a new AL per say, I bet some of the guys would step up.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    Also, I bet these guys don't regularly put up these kinds of donations to G'town, if MU were building a new AL per say, I bet some of the guys would step up.

Also remember that these are orchestrated media releases meant to build momentum toward a larger fund-raising effort.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    Agree with you JohnnyRev. I'm pleased that the players have remained engaged with the program even during the turnover of regime from Crean to Buzz to Wojo. I'm sure most, if not all, give financially on some level. As Rutgers found out you need to tread carefully. Their AD (in one of her many faux pas) called out the Rutgers's alums, who had gone on to pro careers, for not giving more financial support. A number quickly pointed to not only their financial but active participatory support and were so offended they subsequently withdrew that support. Relationships matter and respect is the foundation of every strong relationship.
    Unfortunately, I don't think this is true. Based on last year's honor roll, only Wesley made a gift over $2,500. It's certainly possible others made gifts, but did not want to be publicly acknowledged.

http://issuu.com/marquetteu/docs/201...052848/5433121

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12