Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT RIP James Foley

Truly tragic. James gave voice to those without a voice. I had followed his career dating back to his time in Libya and had hoped and prayed that, like in Libya, he would emerge alive from the hell that is Syria. To say ISIS give new meaning to the word evil is an understatement. My heart breaks for James' family and friends and the world has lost another fearless chronicler of events. The man was not some adrenaline junkie but a true journalist who told the stories many lacked the courage to cover. RIP James.

Terrible news. Prayers to Jim's family.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    Truly tragic. James gave voice to those without a voice. I had followed his career dating back to his time in Libya and had hoped and prayed that, like in Libya, he would emerge alive from the hell that is Syria. To say ISIS give new meaning to the word evil is an understatement. My heart breaks for James' family and friends and the world has lost another fearless chronicler of events. The man was not some adrenaline junkie but a true journalist who told the stories many lacked the courage to cover. RIP James.
    Brilliantly said.

At work this morning, someone questioned why he would go back after having already been captured in Libya. My response was "I believe that was exactly why he went back, because that work was what he was compelled to do." Truly tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Brilliantly said.

At work this morning, someone questioned why he would go back after having already been captured in Libya. My response was "I believe that was exactly why he went back, because that work was what he was compelled to do." Truly tragic.

Foley graduated about a year behind me. Unfortunately for me, I never knew him. However, I recognized the Milwaukee Junior HS tutoring program that he mentioned in his 'letter to Marquette.' I also volunteered for that program. I took the same walk to the school--interacted with the same students. I could not do the exercise more than once. Naturally a tough place--not quite a kill zone, but it was definitely rough around the edges. I also felt that I did not make a difference--that I did not help the young man who came there to improve himself. I did not go back. Jim seemed to have succeeded there. He was driven to go back and do more. He not only tutored, but went back to the 'kill-zone' and became a teacher. I've thought about that in the past day. the daily response from his family and friends was something I followed. I can see that Jim had a spark--that he was one of those rare people. I can somewhat understand his later desire to keep going back. I am very sorry for his family and friends. I know he was deeply loved. The letter to Marquette article inspired me to say the rosary for the first time in perhaps a dozen or more years. I hope it did some good--perhaps I feel the same as when I was tutoring the young man at the junior high, a little bit ineffective.

My best intentions for the Foley family and Jim's friends. There is a WH petition for the other journalist shown in the video. Here is the link

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-life/YvKDwNKp
    Last edited by MUFLA; 08-20-2014 at 12:40 PM.

He was one of us--I am sure he went to games as an undergrad. I have only met one MU graduate who had no interest in the basketball team. I just feel like he was one of us and I am sad about his death. He wasn't killed in combat. He wasn't a mistaken casualty. He was brutally murdered by a guy who was proud of his work. While James Foley was trying to "be the difference" his murderer is the devil personified. Killing one of us for no reason. He can rot in hell.

So sad. As horrific as his death was, it is over, that was temporary, James is now at peace in heaven. ISIS needs to be wiped out. Ignoring them is only going to allow them to grow larger in numbers and territory. Especially with several Islamic extremist sympathizers in the Middle East. Appeasement is never the answer, just look at history (Hitler and the Nazis).

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    So sad. As horrific as his death was, it is over, that was temporary, James is now at peace in heaven. ISIS needs to be wiped out. Ignoring them is only going to allow them to grow larger in numbers and territory. Especially with several Islamic extremist sympathizers in the Middle East. Appeasement is never the answer, just look at history (Hitler and the Nazis).

Can we keep the politics out of here? Because I could say that if it wasn't for the fact that we needlessly de-stabilized the region in the first place by unseating a regime for illegitimate purposes, that ISIS might not have developed in the power vacuum that replaced it.

Or I could point out that ISIS is very much unlike Hitler and the Nazis. Hitler was the head of a legitimate state and all that entails...like a standing Army, manufacturing infrastructure, an economy, a population of supporters, etc.. ISIS is a bunch of well-armed bandits. They don't govern anything. They don't run anything. It's a false equivalency. And false equivalencies have gotten us in trouble in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Can we keep the politics out of here? Because I could say that if it wasn't for the fact that we needlessly de-stabilized the region in the first place by unseating a regime for illegitimate purposes, that ISIS might not have developed in the power vacuum that replaced it.

Or I could point out that ISIS is very much unlike Hitler and the Nazis. Hitler was the head of a legitimate state and all that entails...like a standing Army, manufacturing infrastructure, an economy, a population of supporters, etc.. ISIS is a bunch of well-armed bandits. They don't govern anything. They don't run anything. It's a false equivalency. And false equivalencies have gotten us in trouble in the past.
    Sultan--When was this region ever stable? IMO it was clearly more stable 5 years ago than it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdoc View Post
    Sultan--When was this region ever stable? IMO it was clearly more stable 5 years ago than it is today.

It was more stable 15 years ago too. One of the reasons that we didn't go to Baghdad during the Kuwait War was because of the uncertainty that would follow if Hussein and Ba'athists were toppled.

But really if the choices are instability versus perpetual occupation, I'm going with instability.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast