Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: OT RIP James Foley

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    It was more stable 15 years ago too. One of the reasons that we didn't go to Baghdad during the Kuwait War was because of the uncertainty that would follow if Hussein and Ba'athists were toppled.

But really if the choices are instability versus perpetual occupation, I'm going with instability.
    Was it really more stable, or did we just ignore another despot who killed hundreds of thousands of his own countrymen? I understand that sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't, but also, sometimes the bad guys just need to be taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Same goes for your simplistic, stereotypical labeling re National Review. Ever think that a known 'neo con' might have a legitimate point?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    OK Sultan. I am curious, if you were president, what would be your proposal for dealing with ISIS in Iraq? What should the United States' "influence" be in this situation, seeing you say the United States should have influence in the world. Assuming you are not for US airstrikes and special operations on the ground.

I never said I wasn't for airstrikes. I think it is being handled fine at the moment.
    Last edited by TheSultan; 08-21-2014 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdoc View Post
    Was it really more stable, or did we just ignore another despot who killed hundreds of thousands of his own countrymen? I understand that sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't, but also, sometimes the bad guys just need to be taken care of.

There have been dozens of despots killing their own countrymen over the last century. Many of who were outright supported by the US. That isn't the reason we went into Iraq.

Sultan -- I usually enjoy your messages, but the triple post is Chicos-like.
    Anyone want to talk about sex and religion?
    Please lock thread.

Well I was asked questions in two of them, and the third was a response to a point I made.

But I am done with this topic and apologize for my role in it.

Back to James Foley which this thread was supposed to be about. In the first half of the CBS Morning News this morning a young reporter who has been helping fill in for Charlie Rose this week is an MU grad (I forget his name) and mentioned that Foley too was an MU grad and mentioned that Foley stated that his Jesuit education at MU was key part of his life that lead him to originally become a teacher and how he would say the rosary when in captivity in Libya knowing that his mom and grandmother would be doing the same - a way to communicate with them without actually communicating with them. They showed a picture of him talking to an audience with someone in the background wearing an MU sweatshirt - maybe at MU maybe?
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 08-21-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Back to James Foley which this thread was supposed to be about. In the first half of the CBS Morning News this morning a young reporter who has been helping fill in for Charlie Rose this week is an MU grad (I forget his name) and mentioned that Foley too was an MU grad and mentioned that Foley stated that his Jesuit education at MU was key part of his life that lead him to originally become a teacher and how he would say the rosary when in captivity in Libya knowing that his mom and grandmother would be doing the same - a way to communicate with them without actually communicating with them. They showed a picture of him talking to an audience with someone in the background wearing an MU sweatshirt - maybe at MU maybe?
    Here's the segment- http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/journa...nd-compassion/

Ben Tracy is the reporter. '98 grad, who worked at MU before joining CBS. He's actually on the BOT now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    There have been dozens of despots killing their own countrymen over the last century. Many of who were outright supported by the US. That isn't the reason we went into Iraq.
    I understand that point well, and our country's history isn't pristine when you look at whom we have supported in the past, or maybe do now. That also has to be taken in the context of the political winds of the time, i.e the Cold War. Both sides used proxies. the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Distasteful much of the time, but sometimes necessary.

Please do not forget that our country as TWICE intervened in world wide conflicts for freedom against tyranny. That history should still count for something!

Today, we have no cold war, and when possible we should be standing up agains despots everywhere, as we are the only country with the power and history to justify doing so.

I will drop this as well, out of respect for other posters and the deceased, may he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    Here's the segment- http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/journa...nd-compassion/

Ben Tracy is the reporter. '98 grad, who worked at MU before joining CBS. He's actually on the BOT now.
    Thanks!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast