Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future of NCAA basketball

From the ESPN article, it appears that $5k is the minimum:
    In a partial victory for the NCAA, though, Wilken said it could set a cap on the money paid to athletes for use of their names and images, as long as it allows for no less than $5,000 per athlete per year of competition for players at big football and basketball schools. Individual schools could offer less money, she said, but only if they don't unlawfully conspire among themselves to set those amounts.

Seems like the bigger schools that can offer more marketing opportunities will land the highest rated players.
    Would you pick KY or MU if you could get way more $$$$$$ by signing with KY.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Phantom, I think you are correct that the OB ruling has a larger effect.

However as I understand it, the players wouldn't be paid by the University directly, but though licensing, advertising, etc. paid by a third party. One of the proposals is that the money would be held in trust and distributed every year. I might be completely wrong about this.

It would be open to all athletes, but my guess is that only those with the highest profile could benefit. So for instance, the local booster who owns a car dealership could have Duane Wilson appear in a couple of his ads and gets paid (eventually) $5,000 for it. That same opportunity will likely not be available to the back up volleyball player.
    Don't be so sure. We live in the age of social media. It would not take much for that backup volleyball player to become a social media favorite and get that ad job - especially if she is attractive . Now that I think of it an advertiser could run a great campaign with basketball walkons. Robert Frozina graduated just a few years too early I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Sultan,

If that's the case - that a third party would provide the money - then I'm not sure I get why all the hullabaloo. The articles I read mentioned video games. Well, very, very few of these college athletes will ever have their images appear in video games.
    That all depends on how you define image. For non-revenue sports, I agree that they don't show up in video games, but for basketball and football, I would guess at least 98% of all scholarship athletes have their likeness in the EA game, at least from a skin color/uniform number perspective. It's amazing how many player likenesses there are in those games, the players on the teams in game are never just random characters. Each one is based on an actual scholarship player.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I can't help wondering if the ruling in the Obannon case might have a greater impact on schools/programs than the autonomy vote.

I don't understand the potential ramifications of the $5,000 per year per athlete trust fund. Does that apply to every athlete in every sport? Does it apply only to football and basketball players?

What are the criteria for receiving payment?

It seems to me that this ruling could prove to be more expensive for universities than the increased stipend of roughly $3,000 per year per athlete.

Does this mean that combined it will cost schools at roughly $8,000 per year per athlete?

I'm so confused!

(And I still don't understand if all D-1 athletes will get an increased stipend of just football and basketball players.)
    Rule applies to footbal and basketball players only.

Let's see if this happens:

Delany [Big 10 Commish] followed NCAA president Mark Emmert to the witness stand in a landmark antitrust suit brought by former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon and others.

The idea of paying players, Delany said, goes against the entire college experience, and he couldn’t see league members agreeing to it. If some did, he said, they likely would be kicked out of the conference because the move would create an imbalance among schools that could not be resolved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12