Thread: U17s coverage tidbit...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

U17s coverage tidbit...

Just thought I'd pass this along. My friend is an online sports editor for The National, the english language newspaper in Abu Dhabi. He is in Dubai covering the U17s. He has some pretty good tidbits on twitter (@jisaacraymond) and on the website (http://www.thenational.ae/sport).

Sounds like Stone had a good game.

It may not seem like much consolation, but Greece managed something no other team has in the history of the championship last night - stayed within 10 points of the United States.

The Americans’ 83-73 win was their narrowest in the history of the three stagings of the competition. Diamond Stone, a 6ft 10ins centre, led the team with a 22-point, 10-rebound performance.

“Greece is a great team. We just came out of the gate, kept attacking the rim,” Stone said. “I think we came out today thinking we were gonna blow this team out and it wasn’t that easy, so I think now we know we got that chip on our shoulder for the rest of the games. Can’t take games easy, just push it.”

The Greeks’ 7ft 1ins centre Giorgios Papagiannis supplied 16 points and 11 rebounds.

Henry Ellenson had 6 points and 4 rebounds in just under 8 minutes of playing time. Stone played the most on the US team with 28 minutes.

I saw a couple twitter mentions that the PG play wasn't great for USA. Too much score first mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I saw a couple twitter mentions that the PG play wasn't great for USA. Too much score first mentality.
    Imagine that.