Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of ProAm

Value of ProAm

Went to Pro Am tonight. The games are defenseless and guys like Burton are just jacking threes. There was a matchup tonight between Chief Cohen and JP Tokoto. Chief was a little timid to start but started feeling comfortable and they had a pretty nice matchup. Could actually see Cohen get confidence as the game progressed. I was talking to MUPanther and he agreed and said he saw the same thing happen to a couple UWM players over the years. There is really good talent this year-better than in years past. More pros. Local coaches, even Bo Ryan, need to see the value. I wish I could have been there more frequently. Worthwhile to go tomorrow for the final.

Saw the same thing. Cohen really handled himself well and kept his team in it against a team of Duane Wilson, JP Tokoto, and Philip Nolan from National Champ UConn. Cohen has a better offensive game than I thought too, with a nice stroke from 3 (keeping in mind the pro am uses The NBA three line).

Was there good MU representation last night?

Yes - there has been the last two weeks. Juan, Derrick, Deonte, Duane, Sandy, Jajuan has been there too even though he has been injured. Dawson has been there but was not last night.

One other thing about Cohen, it was great to see Juan on the sidelines coaching him up in a big way. Great leadership out of Juan.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Yes - there has been the last two weeks. Juan, Derrick, Deonte, Duane, Sandy, Jajuan has been there too even though he has been injured. Dawson has been there but was not last night.

One other thing about Cohen, it was great to see Juan on the sidelines coaching him up in a big way. Great leadership out of Juan.

I know Levin is coming off an injury, but is Carlino around?

Carlino Showed up one week and never came back. He can hit the long range J, but struggled defensively against quicker guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Carlino Showed up one week and never came back. He can hit the long range J, but struggled defensively against quicker guards.
    Pretty much what I saw in the BYU-Oregon NCAA game at the BC in March.

So this is exactly the type of situation from which Carlino can benefit. Need to see the value.

Some guys take things seriously and some don't. I've work with some young kids who don't take their part time jobs seriously. They say well this is not what I'm not going to be doing for the rest of my life, so they half-ass it. To me they will be half-ass the rest of their life. Same goes with players in the Scion Dental Summer Pro. Junior Cadougan took it seriously, you saw that leadership on the floor. Jamil Jones didn't take it seriously. It has been a joy seeing many of the players from mid-major schools grow and get better through the years. Many oversea's pros play in the Pro-Am. There is ton value in the pro-am if one takes it seriously.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Some guys take things seriously and some don't. I've work with some young kids who don't take their part time jobs seriously. They say well this is not what I'm not going to be doing for the rest of my life, so they half-ass it. To me they will be half-ass the rest of their life. Same goes with players in the Scion Dental Summer Pro. Junior Cadougan took it seriously, you saw that leadership on the floor. Jamil Jones didn't take it seriously. It has been a joy seeing many of the players from mid-major schools grow and get better through the years. Many oversea's pros play in the Pro-Am. There is ton value in the pro-am if one takes it seriously.
    I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that, I think it very much depends on the individual. I half assed my way through high school, high school jobs, and college to some extent and have been a very successful and hard working professional.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast