Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Value of ProAm

Fair point, was not meant to be all.
    March Madness starts in November

It is interesting. Most of the foreign pros take every game they play seriously. It is their job and they want to challenge themselves against good competition. Guys like Jerry Smith (Louisville / Euro), Ricky Franklin (UWM / France), Miles McKay (been MVP of a couple Euro leagues) Diante Garrett (NBA), Bry Perine (Euro Leagues) and a number of others. Those guys consider the pro am getting their work in and they want to play more serious games (understanding it is still pro am). Unfortunately for many of them their schedules don't allow them to be there every week.

Burton gets it, and while he likes to have fun (some Jamil Wilson rubbing off on him), he sees the value of being there every week. So do smaller school guys. The rest of the MU guys need see the value like the guys did a couple years ago.

I really have a problem with the UWM guys. It is a great opportunity for them to get good competition, get seen by some representatives / agents for foreign leagues, and even interact with fans and get them interested in their program.
    Heck, take Drew Windler for example. He worked hard at the pro am for years and really improved. Like many other MU fans who went to the pro am over the years, I found myself pulling for him and ended up watching and following Belmont.
    This is a chance for the UWM guys to actually have fans develop some type of interest in them and the team, yet they hardly ever show. Funny, on a few of the Friday nights, there were more fans at the pro am than some UWM games.

I know your last statement is over the top on the attendance part, but point well taken on some of the players. Matt Tiby and JJ Panoske was at the pro-am most of the time. Dan Studer and Akeem Springs seems like they showed up only on Friday's.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I know your last statement is over the top on the attendance part, but point well taken on some of the players. Matt Tiby and JJ Panoske was at the pro-am most of the time. Dan Studer and Akeem Springs seems like they showed up only on Friday's.
    You got me on the attendance, but the point was if you want others (like MU fans) to take an interest in your program / team, here is a chance to get exposure in front of a number of fans that would not normally get exposed to your players. It's on Jeter to get these guys to the pro am.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    You got me on the attendance, but the point was if you want others (like MU fans) to take an interest in your program / team, here is a chance to get exposure in front of a number of fans that would not normally get exposed to your players. It's on Jeter to get these guys to the pro am.
    I agree with you. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff at UWM don't agree with our views in what I've heared from them. It sounds more like a take it or leave it. That being said, it was the most current UWM players that were signed up in the 5 years of the pro-am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12