Thread: Bo Ellis

Bo Ellis

I posted this on Doddsy's pay site thought it should be said here. Started in a discussion about Deane bringing back Dean Meminger and how guys have aged from the great teams:

There are some guys who need a little coaxing, too. Robert Byrd lives very near campus yet stays away. I encouraged him to get involved again, as has Bo Ellis. Bo Ellis is a real leader and maybe MU needs to give Bo a position as a goodwill ambassador--I am serious about this. We did it for Jack Harbaugh, it is time for Bo. I played in his daughter's golf outing for the first time this year. I have known him since MU days, though not well. Observing him over the years a few things were made clear to me at his outing, some already apparent:

1. He is loved by everyone he comes in contact with and will speak with anyone.
    2. He loves Marquette.
    3. He is the unifier of former players from all generations.
    4. He got Bernard Toone off the streets, bought him a suit and flew him to a Championship reunion a few years back. If only for a few days, he really helped Bernard.
    5. Bo's respect is not just the brothers, he is well respected by the white guys too. Remember, the "50's, '60's and '70's guys were in the middle of the racial upheaval. It does not matter at all as Bo is the leader of this group as well as much younger guys. He is THE leader of former MU players.
    6. He has had some incredibly tough breaks along the way with his health, his daughter's death and his other daughter's physical problems. Yet, he remains exceptionally upbeat--a very positive guy.
    7. He has become Mr. Marquette.

We need to better recognize everything he has done for the University. He is taken for granted but he is a marvelous man and a quietly respected leader.

Agreed. Bo is probably the single greatest representative of MU basketball. He spans generations of players and can connect the past with the present better than anyone.

Yes, Bo is the ultimate Marquette Man.

I thought that I had read about Wojo and Bo meeting in some capacity. Wojo seems very attuned to the Marquette history and culture, so I believe that he would be open to finding a role for Bo.
    #BringShakaHome

Bo is MU's version of Bill Russell - just won. 11-3 NCAA record in his 4 years - one championship and one runner-up. In the other 2 years MU loses to the eventual runner-up in Kentucky and the eventual champ against Bobby Knight and IU - the last team to go undefeated.

I remember Curt Gowdy loving Bo's game during their run to the final game against the insanely good David Thompson and NC State in '74. Of course Bo wouldn't tuck in his darn uni!!!.

Gato - You are not that far off, something may be in the works.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson